Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SPI Signal Overshoot (to WIFI chip)

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
Hi all,
I have been monitoring some SPI signals for a WiFi IC. The device is powered from 3.3V. The CLK frequency is 4.5MHz

However, I am seeing overshoot and undershoot on the CLK, MISO etc
For example on the CLK the overshoot can get to 3.9V. The undershoot is about -0.65V. This could cause potential issues by exceeding the voltage levels for the WiFi I/O pins.

I have two questions
1. I cant see how it is possible to see ringing which is greater than the supply voltage of 3.3V?
2. Its more than likely caused by inductance. I have tried a shorter gnd probe, it makes a difference to the CLK i.e. no ringing but the MOSI and MISO are the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hunter64

Nov 20, 2018
Another WiFi IC without any information.

A typenumber maybey?

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
At high frequency everything looks like a transmission line. The waveforms can easily go above the rail, if not clipped to it by something. As you say "overshoot". If I drive a transmission line to a voltage v, it can overshoot, regardless of whether V is the rail or not.
Generally, short lines. Also sometimes it is all in or caused by the probe itself.

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
Hi
I shortened the GND clip on the probe, it was set to x10. After this, the clock signal had no issues, however the mosi and miso still had overshoot/undershoot.
The only thing that I can think of is inductance. I can add series damping resistors in each line, around 39R?
Are there any other solutions?
Thanks in advance

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
If you have a decent scope lead, it should have a method of compensation. This normally comprises a small variable capacitor within the probe body. There will then be a small hole in the body of the probe through which you can pass a non conductive driver (normally provided with the lead). Your scope should have an output probably labelled "Probe Compensation" or something similar. This provides a square wave signal of a couple of volts or so at a frequency of 1KHz (can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer) with a fast rise time. You should connect your scope lead to these terminals and then adjust the probe so that you have a perfect square wave with no over or under shoot.
Then you can carry on with your testing and see if you get the same results.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

What scope are you using with wich probes?
As @WHONOES said, is the probe compensation adjusted correctly?
When you use a 1:10 or 1:100 probe, the probe compensation is a must.
Read this page for more info on the probe compensation:
https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/test-methods/oscilloscope/scope-probe-compensation.php
You might also want to read the XYZs of Oscilloscopes primer:
https://www.tek.com/document/primer/xyzs-oscilloscopes-primer
Just press the download file button on the page and store it on your PC.

Bertus

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
If you have a decent scope lead, it should have a method of compensation. This normally comprises a small variable capacitor within the probe body. There will then be a small hole in the body of the probe through which you can pass a non conductive driver (normally provided with the lead). Your scope should have an output probably labelled "Probe Compensation" or something similar. This provides a square wave signal of a couple of volts or so at a frequency of 1KHz (can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer) with a fast rise time. You should connect your scope lead to these terminals and then adjust the probe so that you have a perfect square wave with no over or under shoot.
Then you can carry on with your testing and see if you get the same results.
Hi,
I have tried this. The square wave at probe comp looks fine, with no overshoot of the signal. I will try and upload a screenshot.
The scope is a MSOX3024A KEYSIGHT.
Thanks for your help

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The thread title is misleading: The overshoot is on the SPI signals, not on the WIFI signal.