Maker Pro
Maker Pro

square tactile switch

qweets

Sep 26, 2010
hello : )

i am concidering using square led tactile switches for my project box ( as there seems to be more of a selection , actually i havent seen a round one yet? )

cuting a square hole in a piece of metal to align perfectly with the pcb board and switch with stand off mounts, pheew, that seems difficult. perhaps snap in mount and just soldering wires to the tags would be safer?

perhaps someone has experiece with led buttons on project boxes? or knows of a square hole puch that works well with a particular brand of switch?

thanks for any help : )

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If it's a one-time job, Radio Shack sells a 'nipper' that cuts square holes.
You drill a hole, the nipper inserts into the hole, and you 'nip' the round hole
into a square shape with the hand-help device. It looks like a pair of pliers, but
is designed to nip at material to fashion a square hole.

qweets

Sep 26, 2010
thanks, there may be a fair few to do, so i might need to change to a chassis mount type
button like this below, it has a round hole and a square top.

:http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...=Ss9ZrulIkegsEuw03TQCkx8VtpCoKC5CwXLTiygaX/U=

a very deep button unfortunately , so to acomidate all consles. expensive too. eeek.

i also have 30 smaller buttons to fit on my box. i'll have to try round tactile pcb types and hope i drill all the holes as perfectly aligned to the pcb as i can.

: )

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yes, if you can, get a switch that mounts flat on the board, or will mount in a round
hole. What you need if you do a lot of square holes in chassis, is what is called a
'chassis punch', in the size you want. They're kind of pricey, but if you do a lot of
one particular size, that's the way to go.
'Greenlee' is one company that makes 'chassis punches', but there are others.