Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stainless Electric Motor shaft holder clip.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
I got another fridge that has a good compressor!!!(I know I can hear you all cheering now) but the compressor fan motor was stuck so I pulled it out and took it apart to free it up. It was not too hard, a hit it with my hammer in the right place only ten times before it popped open like a champ. The standard exterior coils, with a slightly (6 of the commutator bars are pretty scrubbed out, but I think a small points file might fix that... Now I will ask you why do you think it was scrubbing? Well I think someone who worked for whirlpool putting these in accidentally dropped it before they put it in. The coils are in a neat little plastic holder that drops into the metal housing, and makes assembly a breeze, someone went to school. Anyway when it hit the ground it offset the plastic inside the housing, just enough to scrub the shaft, I would say less than 4 thousanths. It probably made a lot of noise when it was new, and because the plastic coil holder was not a stationary mount, but was floating in the housing, it probably rectified itself some everytime the motor turned. Now the real test of the engineers in here.... On the distal end of the shaft there is a little stainless cone clip that acts as a c-clip to hold the shaft in the housing. This clip rides on a little square piece of material that is virtually friction proof, between a felt washer, and a larger felt washer that supports the motors specs cap on the back end of the motor, covering the shaft terminator, axis clip and felt washers of course -----> For the cupidoll "What is the stuff this little square invicible board is made of and what can I replace it with?" It reminds me of circuit board. I have rebuilt these before, I always break this thing getting the clip off. I usually replace it with a couple layers of brass washer shim, but I would like to aquire some of this stuff for another day.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Melamine.... no its called bakelite you youngsters with nothing to do!!!

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
When they bult these motors they couldn't get them to work... they finally decided that the power was traveling up the shaft of the commutator and filtering through the felt washers to ground it out. Wow they thought after deciding that a terminator should go in there... What should we use? It can't be metal, that would just make things worse... How about glass? glass is an insulator right?
So for a long time they used glass, but when ever they would have to fix the motor, they would break the terminator and have to replace it.. It was expensive, and they would just toss the entire motor rather than have to pay for a little piece of glass with a hole in it. One of the guys said he used leather, and it worked, another said he used a brass washer, another just left the think out. Some used paper, and one day some body decided to put a piece of bakelite in there. And thats how come you never use boogers on a piece of napkin or tissue as a terminator in an induction motor that turns a fan.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
ha ha ha!! ho ho ho!!! hmhmhm...
I got all the piece of the little bakelite chip and I think I will try some LOCTITE Extreme glue with a piece of paper as a mounting material... I wonder if these are modern boogers or really fukky stuff!!!

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
forum master, please delete this idiotic babbling. Just cause I can type... well now you get it!