Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Starting a Somewhat Extensive Project, Could Use Some Help

Jimoptera

Dec 2, 2014
Hiya, I'm new to these forums and hope to stay a part of it for a while. =D Anywho, I'm starting a project that will require a small screen with a very basic, almost entirely text-based interface that can display text files as well as a few basic images and maybe a game or two if i can. What I'd like to know is A) how to go about developing this interface and B) how to construct a circuit board that will accomodate this interface, the screen, buttons, and maybe a USB port to make managing text files and such easier. I have some experience with programming, but next to no experience with circuit boards and such. Anyone out there that could lend a hand?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
welcome to EP :)

this is pretty complex ... if you had just stayed text based as you originally said, rather than then expanding it to graphics etc it would have been easier

So you are really wanting to build a computer
what programming and electronics skills do you have ?
its going to require a lot of experience with both

cheers
Dave

Jimoptera

Dec 2, 2014
hi there
welcome to EP :)

this is pretty complex ... if you had just stayed text based as you originally said, rather than then expanding it to graphics etc it would have been easier

So you are really wanting to build a computer
what programming and electronics skills do you have ?
its going to require a lot of experience with both

cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,
I know my way around C++ pretty well and I've toyed around with BASIC enough to feel confident using it.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
and what about the electronics ?
as I said, this is going to be a very complex project

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
What is the size of the desired display?
LCD, or LED.
Wouldn't buying a RasPi and a small screen be ideal?

This would move you away from electronics and more into the software side of things, but the pi will still allow for you to interface directly with electronics with it's general purpose pin header.

Jimoptera

Dec 2, 2014
and what about the electronics ?
as I said, this is going to be a very complex project

Like I said, I do not have very much experience as far as electronics themselves. I understand this will be a complex project, especially for a beginner, but I am prepared to take on the challenges presented.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Like I said, I do not have very much experience as far as electronics themselves. I understand this will be a complex project, especially for a beginner, but I am prepared to take on the challenges presented.
then feed us some more technical details about what you want ;)
screen and usb port to load text files is pretty vague.

Jimoptera

Dec 2, 2014
then feed us some more technical details about what you want ;)
screen and usb port to load text files is pretty vague.

Well I suppose I'm aiming for something similar to the Pip-Boy 3000 from the Fallout series, if that helps. Being able to switch between various menus, read various text files, and displaying simple 2 bit images. Definitely not gonna tackle the working GPS from the Pip-Boy though, I'm not that foolhardy. =P And to answer your question from earlier, I'm using a 3" x 5" LCD screen.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
No prob . There are a couple of those on there. One of which should have some 3d models of the parts.
Everything to get you going... and the latest one, all the function is built into the display already... just needs some programming and a little extra tlc to add external buttons.