Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Starting out in Electronics

DanR

Oct 21, 2011
I'm trying to grasp the basics of electronics, and have bought a book which should provide me with the fundamental knowledge to get me started.

I am looking at buying some components to play with (or make tiny projects) to practice my soldering and general use of electronics. Would anyone recommend a website (or UK store) that sell Multi-component packs which can get be started?

So far I found 3 packs on BitsBox, but I am unsure which of the 3 packs to buy.

Any recommendations?

DR

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
I don't like any of those. Make up your own list based on projects you want to build or experiments you want to try. None of those kits have a full E12 series of resistor values which you'll eventually need and you can get now to save on overlap later.

Try this resistor kit. It has 61 values in the E12 series.
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/E12-Series-610-piece-carbon-film-resistor-kit-74262

Take a look at the various surplus electronics sources for capacitors, diodes, transistors, ICs, LEDs, etc.

http://www.surplectronics.com/default.asp
http://www.greenweld.co.uk/

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Dan

those ones you showed would be ok if they came with a book of circuits that you could build from those items. That would be ideal :) as time and experience grew you could then expand on
your parts list. For a beginner the price is right!!

The one Externet showed is a pretty serious experimenters setup and has a VERY serious price tag to go with it. Dunno your age or financial situation, but that may be well out of your league
at the moment. I personally know I would pay in excess of $300 Australian (189 BPounds) for that.

Dont despise small beginnings Dan, :) start small and work your way up. But if possible aim for component sets with a book of projects or some small kits to get you started

and if ya have hassles getting something working come onto the forum and ask a few Q's if possible give us links to pics of circuit diagrams, so we can follow through the project with you :)

cheers
Dave

Harpy

Nov 3, 2011
Coming from another beginner, what do you want to actually make, just doing something for the sake of it can be half hearted, but if you can actually solve a problem, choose a project, the drive and rate which you can absorb information accelerates.
What other interests do you have, how can electronics help you there?
Decide on a particular project, research it, and as suggested, buy the relevant components an build it, if it works, great, if it doesn't, put the multimeter on it and find out why not, learning all the time.
My current project is a bit over the top for a beginner, but I have picked up a lot more info because I want to resolve an issue, in the scheme of things though I know sweet F/A.

egwillfriedel

Nov 4, 2011
I really liked the Nerd Kits it came with an atmel micro controller and good tutorials on basic electronics its about $80 dollers but that's mainly for the pdf file. All the parts can be replaced cheaply so if you fry something (all of us have done that some time or another) you don't have to worry. It also comes with an LCD screen and some basic parts. But I do agree with KJ6EAD you should buy some of your own parts that are not from starter kits.

http://www.nerdkits.com/

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you're paying $80 and it's mostly for a PDF, then I would be concerned that I was getting very poor value for money.

egwillfriedel

Nov 4, 2011
If you're paying $80 and it's mostly for a PDF, then I would be concerned that I was getting very poor value for money.

True, I see what you mean I guess I should have explained it more. When I bought it came with Source code for about 4 different projects, data sheets for all the parts it came with, Programing environment for your PC, a Programing cable, 4x20 LCD, a white breadboard, and a hand full of LEDs and Transistors. The PDF file covers all the basics and up to a temperature sensor that outputs to a LCD.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
True, I see what you mean I guess I should have explained it more. When I bought it came with Source code for about 4 different projects, data sheets for all the parts it came with, Programing environment for your PC, a Programing cable, 4x20 LCD, a white breadboard, and a hand full of LEDs and Transistors. The PDF file covers all the basics and up to a temperature sensor that outputs to a LCD.

You're paying for convenience.

Most of the things you mention there are provided free of charge (or for a nominal fee at most). The exceptions are the actual hardware (cable, LCD, breadboard, LEDs etc.)

The advantage is that you're pretty much guaranteed that it's all there, and it will all work together. But you're paying a premium for this.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
where to start components purchase

My favorite company in the UK as you ask is ESR electronics, they do evey thing, there is a PDF file down load of there components catalogue on the main home page under the components link, the prices i think are the best in the UK, ive been shopping with them for years with no problems. But as others have said having a project in mind helps, or a handfull of begginer circuits, you can buy single components or save money on larger quantities, but nice to have purchasing options.
Dave.D