Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Static IP address

juh

Feb 21, 2013
I don't know where to put this thread. :eek:

How and where can I get a static IP address? We just installed a CCTV system with a DVR and we want to view or connect with it remotely, but our ISP uses DYNAMIC IP. Did I explain it right? Hehe

My boss just asked me to research about it. Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Talk to your ISP.

However there are alternatives. Google "dynamic DNS"

juh

Feb 21, 2013
It's the first time I've heard of that but I think it can solve our problem. Thanks a lot!

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
www.noip.com works well for me, I have been using them for maybe 10 years now... Heck the client is even built into my new router, makes it dead simple...

juh

Feb 21, 2013
Hello. I have another question. How can I install no-ip DDNS if my DVR is directly connected to the modem? Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The easiest way is to get a router that handles DDNS.

By modem, I assume you're talking about an ADSL/Fibre/Cable modem, not dialup?

Alternatively, you could also connect a small PC to another lan port. Some are very tiny. (These run a version of Linux, and you need to know how to flash them to run DD-WRT (free software) if it's not already loaded).

juh

Feb 21, 2013
I have a wireless router, i'll just use that. Now, my issue is port forwarding. My DVR has ports for HTTP, UDP, TCP and Talk. Shall I forward all those? This is my first time dealing with this. Thanks for your help.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I have a wireless router, i'll just use that.

Not all routers will update the DDNS info, thus if your ISP changes the IP and you don't update the system fails... If your router does not support DDNS updating then you will need to have another computer that is on the same connection do the updating for your...

Now, my issue is port forwarding. My DVR has ports for HTTP, UDP, TCP and Talk. Shall I forward all those? This is my first time dealing with this. Thanks for your help.
Yes, forward all ports used by the DVR to the DVRs local IP... Make sure to give the DVR a reserved static IP number...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I found this, and I use the same router. HUAWEI HG530. Will this be enough?
http://support.no-ip.com/customer/portal/questions/385178-huawei-hg53-

Looks like you router supports DDNS so you should be good...

You mean, local static IP address?

Yes, sometimes the best way to do it is to set your DHCP sever on the rotuer to a range like 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.100, and then if you can manually set your DVR IP force it to something outside that range like 192.168.1.111... This way there is no chance that the DHCP sever will burp and have an IP conflict or issue... If you can't manually lock the DVR into a force IP, make sure to reserve said IP to the DVRs MAC address so that the DHCP is supposed to give that IP to the DVR... Note, I say supposed because it's been my experience that if for some reason the device drops signal for a bit due to a brown out or signal interference, it will try to log back onto the network but the DHCP gets grumpy for whatever reason and won't let it right away...

I had to do this with my WD Live TV units because they network kept hanging, force the IP outside the DHCP range and all is good...