Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Step up solution

Britannicus

Feb 26, 2012
Hi All,

I'm fiddling with a self contained system that operates at 9V from an alarm battery - it's a small robot rover.

Now here's the thing - I've a mind to mount an air pump on it to power a nerf gun... thing is it needs to run at 24 V - not wanting to run a much larger battery solution for something that will only "puff" for a second or two I'd like to step up my 9V supply to 24V.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a cheap compact solution - maybe a nice little IC that could do the business ??

I'd welcome the help

Cheers A

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Look on EBay for "dc to dc boost converter".

Bob

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
IMO a more practical approach would be to use the mini CO2 tanks used in BB guns and seltzer tanks... All you need is a pressure regulator, it can be as simple as a needle valve in this application, just something to slow the flow rate of the CO2 so it doesn't go hog wild and discharge a full tank of CO2 for a single shot, and an electronic solenoid value to operate the actual firing... You can also use airsoft (green gas) if you just need a single shot, just pressurize a small tank, and use the solenoid to fire, you can get the 'tank' already setup with the fill valve out of a gutted gas airsoft gun, just look for a broken one on Ebay... Heck with the gas airsoft gun you actually get the entire system, you just need to trip the trigger...

Or you can dumb it down and just use a spring loaded plunger/piston to generate the poof of air...