Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stepper driver.

markus.dnd

Jun 17, 2010
I have been reading about building a stepper motor controller using atmega microcontroller.

Now i slowly start to working on it and i was thinking that maybe you people would like to read form a thread about how it is going.

A little insight. Stepper motor must be easily controlled by mcu, It must be able to be working to its limits (by the use of advanced driver) and it must be easy to understand.

I am starting with controlling unipolar steppers only via MOSFETs for reference and then going to move on to more and more complex solutions.

All the time i will be using the same unipolar motor. Sadly i do not have any idea of what this motor exactly is since i got it from old matrix printer

i shall post all my problems and solutions for them just as all of the side notes, ideas and so on.

I do hope, that this does not go out of the scope of this forum, but the same as i put here will be appearing on my blog. Where and what the blog is i do not think is important, since i am not trying to get people on the blog.

All the ideas, comments, idle thoughts and random babbling is welcome, and i hope that it will become entertaining and useful thread.

Just for info, i am an young student that is going to university of Tartu for the first year, but all ready i work at small company as electronics engineer (or maybe it is better to call me electronics designer... i do not speak English natively.) And as second job i am a manager of a little adults shop. Just for the record, i am 20y old and yes, i do not have any other life.

Markus
All the best. (PS first post of working will be arriving tomorrow evening.)

roltex_rohit123

Oct 12, 2009
I have been reading about building a stepper motor controller using atmega microcontroller.

Now i slowly start to working on it and i was thinking that maybe you people would like to read form a thread about how it is going.

A little insight. Stepper motor must be easily controlled by mcu, It must be able to be working to its limits (by the use of advanced driver) and it must be easy to understand.

I am starting with controlling unipolar steppers only via MOSFETs for reference and then going to move on to more and more complex solutions.

All the time i will be using the same unipolar motor. Sadly i do not have any idea of what this motor exactly is since i got it from old matrix printer

i shall post all my problems and solutions for them just as all of the side notes, ideas and so on.

I do hope, that this does not go out of the scope of this forum, but the same as i put here will be appearing on my blog. Where and what the blog is i do not think is important, since i am not trying to get people on the blog.

All the ideas, comments, idle thoughts and random babbling is welcome, and i hope that it will become entertaining and useful thread.

Just for info, i am an young student that is going to university of Tartu for the first year, but all ready i work at small company as electronics engineer (or maybe it is better to call me electronics designer... i do not speak English natively.) And as second job i am a manager of a little adults shop. Just for the record, i am 20y old and yes, i do not have any other life.

Markus
All the best. (PS first post of working will be arriving tomorrow evening.)

find out whether it is unipolar or bi polar.. there are ic's for stepper motor control.. i am also usinf stepper motors for my project, though i dont know much about them. only thing that i know is 5 wired motor is unipolar 4 phase motor with black common. and wired motor has 2 wires as common. you can search for the stepper motor basics. Google 'printer stepper motors'. you'l get everything you want.

markus.dnd

Jun 17, 2010
as i wrote before, it is an unipolar motor.

Sadly no better entry today, since i got one defective mosfet.

Note to self, always have extra...