Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stepper motor step count determination

BillV

Sep 18, 2012
Attached is a picture of a Keihin stepper used as part of a secondary throttle controller on motorcycles and related vehicles. It has four leads, which identifies it as a 2-phase bipolar design. Is it possible to determine the motor’s step count from the picture? You can see teeth on the stator poles that I think closely match the number of teeth on the rotor. Also I’m guessing that the faint blue marks along the edge of the rotor are associated with the rotor teeth and, with some difficulty, I count 25 in a half circle. So it appears to have 50 teeth, which suggests that it has 200 steps per revolution. However I have a similar picture of a claimed 400 step count motor. The stator pole teeth aren’t as visible there but the rotor teeth are and it also has 50 teeth.
124035673.jpg

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Also I’m guessing that the faint blue marks along the edge of the rotor are associated with the rotor teeth and, with some difficulty, I count 25 in a half circle. So it appears to have 50 teeth, which suggests that it has 200 steps per revolution. However I have a similar picture of a claimed 400 step count motor. The stator pole teeth aren’t as visible there but the rotor teeth are and it also has 50 teeth.

there are NO teeth in a stepper motor
they are available in many different step counts