Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stepping down 12vdc to 6vdc, max 1amp

skeer

Apr 12, 2013
Hey all, new user here from MI.

Got a question I'm sure you experienced folks will be able to easily handle. Long story short.. I wreck my last truck, it had the temp in the rear view mirror and my new truck does not. I really.. really miss it.
In trying to find an alternative, here at work I stumbled across a -40 to 140* digital LED gauge that's about 1 3/4 inches in diameter round... perfect size for this specific spot on my dash. The only problem is, it's 6vdc.

I'm looking for not only the cheapest, but also the simplest type of device or circuit that would step that voltage down while not inadvertently turning into a dash heater! lol.

My soldering skills are moderate and I have all the related equipment to manufacture something small I just don't have the know-how to design something to accomplish this. Any help would be much appreciated.

medictrode

Feb 21, 2013

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The current on this is likely so low that a 6V zener diode in series with the power lead would probably do the trick.

Edit: I now see in the title you mention 1A. Does the digital thermometer really take that? I would expect it to take a few milliamps at most. What kind of a battery is it designed for, and how long does it last?

Bob

Last edited:

skeer

Apr 12, 2013
I'm sure it doesn't take a full 1a.. However other than the sticker on the back showing 6vdc1a I have nothing to go on. This gauge is designed to be used with an ac adapter.. Would maybe the output amperage match the input requirements?