Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stereo CD reader issue (Kenwood KDC-252u)

NickC

Jan 13, 2021
The stereo is a Kenwood KDC-252u. When I put disc in, the stereo goes into a loop of reading disc then all the lights on it turn off and it starts again. I have tested this with other CDs an got the same result. I got TOC error twice while tinkering with it, so I cleaned the lens but the result was the same loop. The radio, aux, and usb all work on the stereo.

I'm not sure if this is purely a failure with the laser reader mechanism or it there is different fault with the stereo. I might upload a video later of the issue since the file is too large to be attached.

Edit, just uploaded the video:

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Some readers have problem reading pc burned discs.
Have to tried an original shop bought disc..?

NickC

Jan 13, 2021
I've tried with both pc burned and store bought discs, and had the same result.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Sometimes cleaning the pickup for the disc helps. These pickups can become slippery and the CD will not rotate up to the required rpm. This failure can often be heard, tooo, as the pickup scratches along the disc surface without picking it really up. Use a cotton swab and some alcohol (IPA) to clean the pickup disc.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
...and check the movement of the laser reading arm.
Got dust or debris preventing smooth movement?

NickC

Jan 13, 2021
Sometimes cleaning the pickup for the disc helps. These pickups can become slippery and the CD will not rotate up to the required rpm. This failure can often be heard, tooo, as the pickup scratches along the disc surface without picking it really up. Use a cotton swab and some alcohol (IPA) to clean the pickup disc.
I just tested it with the top off so I could see if the disc rotating properly. The disc wasn't rotating, it only twitched when the motor tried to turn it.

NickC

Jan 13, 2021
I cleaned up the disc tray and laser pickup with some alcohol but it is still not play the discs. I also tested the motor separately to make sure it work, which it does. Only difference now is the stereo displays a TOC error rather than going into the reading loop.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Opposite to the pickup there usually is a counterweight to press the CD against the pickup. Does this counterweight move freely and does it sit firmly on the disc when the disc has loaded?

It is by pure chance that I had a similar failure just recently on my CD player. Here the defect was not the CD drive, as I assumed at first from similar symptoms, but the mechanism to close the CD tray, This mechanism failed to close the last few tenth of a millimeter. This caused misalignment of the disc and consequently the disc didn't spin up correctly. The solution in my case was to replace the drive belt of the tray mechanism. Could be worth a try in your case, too.

NickC

Jan 13, 2021
I did some work on the stereo today and found there was a misalignment issue caused by the disc hold-down piece. I fixed the alignment and I still have a TOC error, but at least now the disc spins properly. thanks for the advice about misalignment.