Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stereo lighting christmas light bulbs

Rickedafied

Aug 3, 2014
Is it safe to connect a small strand of Christmas light bulbs to the speaker outputs of the stereo?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
It is safe, but what is the use of this? They probably won't light up at all because the voltage at the speaker output of a typical amplifier is too low for the light bulbs to turn on.

If you expect the lights to flicker to the rhythm of the music, build a light organ.

Rickedafied

Aug 3, 2014
Ive seen the lights that flash to the sound of music, but i like how the light bulbs of christmas lights start off dim and get brighter ass you add volume and bass. I tried it years ago on a different stereo using about 4 or 5 bulbs and it worked, i wanted to try it again, but I wanted to make sure im not overheating any components in the stereo that might blow out. I never thought about ohms and resistors back then when i was messing around connecting different ohm speakers and light bulbs. I just wanted to be sure that this time when connecting them, that I'm doing it right.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Check the resistance of your bulbs. It should not be less than the rating of your amp (typ. 4 Ω/speaker). If your light bulbs show less resistance, you risk overloading the amplifier.

Rickedafied

Aug 3, 2014
The stereo powers 8 ohm speakers. So anything higher than 8 ohms is safe right?