Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Storing electronics components

jokkebk

Mar 2, 2012
Ever since I started my electronics hobby a year ago I've had a constantly growing selection of small components that need to by stored: resistors, capacitors, ICs, switches, etc.

I recently got an idea to make a DIY folder for storing resistors. Basically I found out that almost all stores selling binders also sell cheap plastic folder sheets with 9-12 pockets (e.g. for coins, collectible cards, A4s...) that are great for 10-20 resistors, so a few dollar "pack of ten" provides a great way to organize the whole E12 series of 72x10 resistors. If anyone is interested I documented that project in my blog (clicking the image will take you to the full post):

What about other components? Most "bin shelf" solutions have way too large bins to store 1-2 ICs in each (you end up wasting 99 % of their volume). My current solution has been to get small container boxes with 12-18 inner compartments, label each compartment and use Google Docs "excel sheet" to keep track of the contents of each compartment (e.g. "A15: 2x 7805 regulator, 4x 3.3 zener diodes").

Any good practices or ideas?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A colleague of mine uses something similar for SMD resistors. He places strips of them in plastic folders like that. He uses a heat sealer to make long thin pockets for them.

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
It's better to seal components from humidity. It's hard to solder dirty or corroded pins / wire of components.