Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stranded Hookup Wire and Logic Circuits?

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I wanted to buy some hookup wire for further experimentation and came across a review stating that it was not a good idea to use stranded wire for logic circuits.

Is there any truth to this?

I was thinking of buying some 22 ga. stranded wire as it would be more flexible than solid core. I have also used 24 ga solid core in the past and have been annoyed with how easily it breaks.

Anybody use a particular wire that they like?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I've never heard that before. Like you, I use stranded 22ga specifically because it's more flexible.
Were any specifics mentioned in the article? I don't know, like high frequency or some other variable?

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi chopnhack
The only reason I can think of is the flexible nature of the wire could mean they all touch. This would create capacitance between the wires causing interference. I can't see of any other reason. The other guys might know more
Just a thought.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have never heard of that either

for any circuit, I would use stranded wire from board to I/O connectors, switches, power etc
for links on the board I would use single strand wire

Dave

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks all, I didn't think it was founded, but never hurts to check. I saw it referenced on a review for hookup wire from radio shack.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I have never heard of that either

for any circuit, I would use stranded wire from board to I/O connectors, switches, power etc
for links on the board I would use single strand wire

Dave
Dave, I understand the stranded for connections between items that may move, but why solid links on the board? Preference or other reasons?
Thanks!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Maybe with stranded wire, the electrons get confused and can't figure out which strand to go down. Maybe that's how fuzzy logic was discovered. Seriously, I don't know of any electrical reason not to use stranded wire with logic circuits either.

Solid wire is used for links in prototyping systems because it's easier to work with. Stranded wire either needs to be tinned (in which case a weak point is formed at the end of the tinning if it is bent repeatedly) or the strands keep untwisting and can short onto things. Those are the reasons I know of.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I can't think of an electrical issue, but it could be mechanical.
How many people do you figure lick their fingers, give the stranded wire a good twist, and jam it in the breadboard?

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Maybe with stranded wire, the electrons get confused and can't figure out which strand to go down. Maybe that's how fuzzy logic was discovered. Seriously, I don't know of any electrical reason not to use stranded wire with logic circuits either.
LOL, fuzzy indeed.

Good point on the stranded solder joint, I hadn't thought of that.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
22 gauge solid is ideal for breadboard use so maybe the concern with stranded wire was in regard to it's inappropriateness for solderless breadboards. If the information came from a Radio Shack employee, it can be disregarded with prejudice.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Ahh Soo. Now we come to the root of the problem. I didn't think about the fact that this was a 'review' about a Radio Shack product.
It was probably somebody's opinion, without real basis in recognized electronic theory.
I do see the point of stress on stranded-wire leads making physical turns, like the actual connection to a speaker.
Strands could easily break making sharp turns, leaving you with less than a quality electrical connection.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Another point if they are selling them for the use on Breadboards, and trying to poke stranded wire into the little holes. This could cause the small wires to fray out and possibly cause faults on the breadboard making it difficult to find this stray wire.
Adam