Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Strange Chinese battery. Need help finding charger.

Help with charger

Jun 18, 2018
Hello all, I'm a bit in a pickle here. So I found a fancy ass scooter on the street with a broken handle but everything else was fine. Didn't have a charger so I looked up the scooter and got one I thought would work. No luck. I've tried lots of other things and honestly this is my last option. I hope someone on here can help me find the right charger I need. Attached is a picture of the battery details

upload_2018-6-19_6-27-28.png

Now that I've sorta summed it up I'll go a bit into detail so as to not have people with missing info. I got a charger with a 24V 2.7A rating and attempted to charge the scooter with this overnight. When I tried it in the morning I turned it on and the 4 LED battery indicator only showed one bar. I left the scooter on max thrust and it died after 20 minutes.

If you want to recommend I call customer service for the scooter. I've tried that. They don't help. They just say to use the original charger even though I explain that I don't have it.

The scooter brand is E-ZIGO but I've found the same scooter sold by another company just with a smaller battery inside.

I've tried googling the model number on the battery. No luck. Too bad I can't use Chinese google.

If anyone wants I also have a multimeter I can use to test things for more info.

If anyone could give me some insight at least on what I should try I would greatly appreciate it.

I think that's all so thank you for your time and have a wonderful day.

[Mod Note - edited photo for easier viewing]

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Chances are the charger is a 25.9V current limited power supply and contact that the cell balancing is either internal to the battery module or the scooter.

What does the charging port look like and how many wires connect to it? (Is it 2 wires only?)

Help with charger

Jun 18, 2018
Oddly enough the charging port isnt like what I'm used to. It's a 5mm jack. Not those funny 3 prong ones I'm used to.

When I take it apart the battery only has 2 power connectors.

Thanks for the speedy reply man!

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The battery voltage is 25.9V which is 7 Lithium cells in series that average 3.7V each. Each cell is charged to 4.20V with a specified current then the charger is disconnected when the charging current becomes low. The total charging voltage is 7 x 4.2V= 29.4V but usually a multi-cell Lithium battery is charged with a balanced charger that adjusts the voltage of each cell. Your 24V supply provided only 24V/7= around 3.4V to each cell which is close to the battery being dead.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
A battery rated at 25.9 V is almost certainly 7 Li Ion cells in series. (7 x 3.7 = 25.9)

You need a charger designed for this particular chemistry and number of cells.

The fully charged voltage will be 7 x 4.2 = 29.4 V, which is why a 24V supply did not charge it.

Bob

Help with charger

Jun 18, 2018
The battery voltage is 25.9V which is 7 Lithium cells in series that average 3.7V each. Each cell is charged to 4.20V with a specified current then the charger is disconnected when the charging current becomes low. The total charging voltage is 7 x 4.2V= 29.4V but usually a multi-cell Lithium battery is charged with a balanced charger that adjusts the voltage of each cell. Your 24V supply provided only 24V/7= around 3.4V to each cell which is close to the battery being dead.

Ahhh I see now, that makes perfect sense. Thank you very much!

Help with charger

Jun 18, 2018
A battery rated at 25.9 V is almost certainly 7 Li Ion cells in series. (7 x 3.7 = 25.9)

You need a charger designed for this particular chemistry and number of cells.

The fully charged voltage will be 7 x 4.2 = 29.4 V, which is why a 24V supply did not charge it.

Bob

When you say particular chemistry, do you mean li ion or where it says BFM on the cell type?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Yes, Li Ion. I do not know what BFN means, it might just be an internal code.

Bob

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
Normally Li-Ion batteries are charge at a constant current up to a voltage of 4.2 - 4.3 volts per cell. Then the voltage is held there until the current falls to a small value. The electronics to control that charging may be in the charger or may be on the scooter as part of it's electrical system (or even internal to the battery). You may have to put a bit of pressure on the manufacturer to get a replacement charger or at least more information.

[Note that over-volting (overcharging) a Li-Ion battery can cause it to become unstable and may even cause it to develop internal shorts and start on fire. ]