Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Strong slide switch

Switchingswitches

Feb 8, 2020
Hello. I’ve used minature slide switches with multiple poles, but they are too sensitive for my applications. It doesn’t take much force to switch them and they usually just passing by the poles without bothering to stop, even though hardly any force are applied.

I’m searching for something stronger, that require alot of force in order to switch between the poles. A pushbutton action that advance between the poles would be even better than a slide.

Does anyone knows where I can find what I’m looking for?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Your requirement is not normally a part of any switch spec. I have ever seen.
I'd say it would be a "hands on" requirement, visit a switch supplier and try each one.
You don't say how many poles or how many switch positions.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
?
Does it have to slide?
How many positions?
How many poles?

Attachments

• waferSwitch.PNG
    waferSwitch.PNG
    69.7 KB · Views: 4

Switchingswitches

Feb 8, 2020
What I’m really looking for is a push button switch that advances the poles. With this configuration: OFF-ON-ON-ON-ON-ON-ON-ON-ON. (I guess ON-ON-ON-ON-ON-ON-ON-ON-ON will work to by just skipping the first one, making it the OFF.)

But maybe what I’m looking for doesn’t exist, so if there is something similar it’s interesting too, that’s why I don’t specify too much.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Sorry, how do you turn it off again? It appears to stay on after the first push.
Sorry, failing to grasp the aim, here.

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
@Nanren888 ....

I think the effect he is after is the way the "Up/Down" arrows work on a TV remote to change the channel ... at some point you "run out of channels" and cycle back to the first channel ... obviously he wants this in an analog switch and instead of a "channel", position.0 = off ...

@Switchingswitches
It would probably be a lot easier if you just told us what you are trying to do rather than asking us to help you find a part that almost certainly doesn't exist. Just FYI, specialized analog switches can be really, really expensive ....for this very reason engineers typically try to avoid using "specialty" analog parts in favor of more generic firmware/software solutions combined with more mainstream switching technologies ... that being said, there are plenty of examples of "expensive specialty parts" becoming "cheap mainstream parts" ... encoders being just one example.

An encoder or even a simple momentary push-button switch in combination with a micro-controller, perhaps some relays and some bits from a machine shop or junk-yard could likely achieve whatever it is you are trying to achieve for considerably less expense than a "specialized analog switch".

While making something "difficult" to activate (ie << require alot of force in order to switch between the poles >> ) is rarely a goal, it is certainly easy enough to achieve ....

Compression coil springs from small-ball-point-pen size to heavy-duty-Truck-suspension size are readily available ... select one that seems appropriate and rig it up so that the user has to push it some distance before activating a $0.02 6mm x 6mm tactile switch ... use a ($0.80) micro-controller to detect the switch state and activate the appropriate relay ....

Hope it helps!

Fish

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Wafer switch? Customisable wafers and number of wafers? With a strong detent? See image above? :)

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
A pushbutton action that advance between the poles would be even better than a slide.
See @Fish4Fun post #6 above. Tell us what you are trying to DO and let us make suggestions on how to do it. A Microchip PIC microprocessor can easily be interfaced to a push-button switch to increment a software "counter" that selects one of several PIC outputs. Each output controls at least one relay coil, so it can be as simple as a relay with a SPST normally-open contact, or a relay with multiple poles and multiple throws at your pleasure, with either more contacts on the relay or more relays at each output, whichever seems more practical for your application.

You can also do this with discrete logic circuits but PICs are much less expensive, even if you need to use several PICs to obtain enough output port bits. Don't get carried away and think you need a fancy PIC with lots of output bits when two, three, or more PICs with just a few bits on each PIC will do the job. It all depends on how long a "slide switch" with how many poles you want to make. Multiple PICs will of course require some housekeeping program logic to keep them all "in sync" and working together. It would also be advisable that they all execute the same program, so the PICs would be interchangeable. This would make the circuit much easier to test and debug.

If you need a mechanical solution, mount a micro-switch on a slide between two rails with adjustable friction, perhaps by varying the spacing between the rails. A series of "bumps" or detents located outside one rail would actuate and de-actuate the micro-switch as it moved (slid) between the rails. The rails and the detent strip can be "printed" easily on a 3D printer. Use the micro-switch to increment the software counter in one or more PICs. Or de-bounce it and increment a decoded hardware CMOS or TTL counter, the decoded outputs controlling relays as previously described.

For what application do you need this switch? Do you need more than one switch? I am visualizing some sort of audio mixing board with dozens or hundreds of slide switches. How about some hints on what you are trying to DO!

Last edited:

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
If the switch slides too easily, all you need is a rail with mechanical detents. This is pretty easy to do, two parallel metal (or plastic if you like flimsy) plates sliding, notches in one plate, and a ball bearing with a channel behind it that has a spring to provide tension for the ball bearing.