Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stupid nut!

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I don't know exactly, but heres my take;
It essentially forms an electric motor.
Current flows through the bolt. I think the sleeve he puts on is a magnet which charges metal inside bolt that's oposite polarity of the magnet on his thumb.

As current flows through the bolt (coil),
it causes a field that would want to spin because its inside the N and S magnetic fields. Since the bolt it being held firmly, only the nut spins.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Hey youse guys !

These are others SIMPLE PERCEIVED opinions of operation, but I am thinking that they are misdeeming it and ULTRA refining its actual operative mode as having a hidden internal " motor " being relied upon for its operation..

I can’t see that . . . .but suspecting it as really being a spiral wound coil in the center of the MOSTLY hollowed out bolt, that is between the battery connection and its grounded other end. That spiral short with HIGH CURRENT feed makes a quite strong magnetic field that induces a magnetic field out into the nut.

With that nuts then reacting as being 1 shorted turn, is being able to create its own magnetic field and obeying Oersteads thumb two finger relationship of current to induced magnetic field.

The nuts emitted magnetic field is expelled along a linear axis at the front and back side of the nut.

Player number two is being the ultra-STRONG magnetic field emitted by our modern neodymium family of magnets.

The nut has its field empowered and as the neo magnet approaches, the two fields repel and with the magnet being held / fixed in place . . . . then the field of the nut is the part that has to be the mobile unit as an induced electromagnet field to repel away from the neo magnets opposing field..

In its pushing away action, the nut will automatically have to take on the sloped threading of the bolt to impart a spinning action in order to be able to moveever further away.

The magnetic field travels with the spiral coil all the length of the bolt.

You can just bet that there is a warning not to leave the battery inside of the bolt unit any longer than is needed in doing the trick.

A physics equation to this performance is the very first days of the evolution of the neodymium magnet of a sizing just shy of the internal diameter of the internal bore of a ¾ in copper pipe.

I acquired a round one about .375 to .5 in thick and just shy of the mentioned pipes internal diameter.
You drop the magnet down in the pipe and the movement of the strong magnetic field induces a current into the immediately surrounding copper pipe, because it is acting as a shorted turn. That closest areas created magnetic fields works with the internal magnet and tries to attract it but gravity overrides it. Never the less, the magnet continues falling and carrying a moving field with it. The end effect is a contiual magnetic braking action of the falling magnet.

A steel nut would fall down a 3 ft length of copper pipe in a second, whereas this magnet would take almost 3 seconds.

I once took a “ Round steel bar ” (the magnet) inside a Homeless Despot store to the plumbing dept and asked if they had a copper pipe that " this " would just barely pass thru.

Then I held it atop the pipe to gauge size and then pulled an OOPSIE in releasing the magnet, with the clerk immediately reacting in reaching down to catch it . . . a delayed time later . . . then a repeat by himself, then an eye up to the light, but seeing no obstruction, nor bend. Then a shout out to co worker of.

HEY Ern . . . . got the gol dernest thing that I done ever seen here ! Come here a minnit !

Much action and suggestions between the two and then my taking the pipe length and my saying

“I think that this size will work.” . . . and leaving them in an utter state of confusion of what they had just experienced.

Thassssit . . . .

73’s de Edd

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Two other factors that see that I accidentally left out .
Look at his close-up of the brass body of the bolt and the seam between the fake / removable hex head and and you will see that the seam is being up about one quarter of the way. I see the solid brass removal aid as just being solely that, with its insertion end, that rests against the slide off bolt head . . .being bored out just a wee bit larger diameter. Its other half is just bored out to just clear the outer bolt diameter. When the nut is then threaded on, it levers the bi-diameter sleeve down to press the fake hex end off.
The other aspect would be that this is not using a run of the mill brass threading of the typical brass bolt found in a hardware stores bin.
I'm expecting the fine quality and tolerances as would be imparted by the skill set of a journeyman tool and die maker.
Thus, a more friction free traversing of the nut up and down the bolts threading.
If having the set, to play with, I would additionally expect the bolt/nut pair to have a little bit more free play than is normally experienced from an on an off-the-shelf pair.

And finally, the forthcoming question , yet to be fielded by 'ole Delmer Dummnutzz.
" HAY ! waits jests a minits ther' . . .don't it has to be uh usin' eithers steel or irons to be makin's an electromagnet ? ? ? "
Answer:
Au contraire, have you ever seen the physics experiment where you take a steel rod and wind magnet wire about twelve layers deep across the rod, but stopping just shy of covering the whole length of the rod and leaving a bared 2 inches of rod at one end.
The electromagnet then gets mounted with that rod end on top.
A nonferrous aluminium-yum-yum washer with its hole, that just clears the rod diameter, is then
placed atop the coil.
Should you then apply a one second supply of upwards of 100 volts of A.C. or DC power, to the wound coil, that will create a FIERCE temporary magnetic field. That strong field then induces into what seems to be a 1 turn coil created with that alum washer. It's 1 turn converts to a high current induced magnetic field, which has an opposing magnetic polarity, to the wound electromagnet, such that the washer then goes flying up high into the air.

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Waaah..., sniff, sniff. It wasn't magic?
Harry Potter is a fake?
I was going to buy me a couple hundred of them as labor saving devices.
Millions of dollars could have been saved in physical therapy for workers injured by ergonomic stress accidents caused by work-related tasks involving torque hand tools.
Maybe it was a good thing I didn't buy those X-ray glasses in the back of comic books when I was a kid.
This guy might be the X-ray glasses inventor's kid.