Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Suggestions for a new oscilloscope (looking)

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
Hey all,

Soon (when I get this app finished - if I finish), I'm going to start pricing and shopping around for a new oscilloscope.

Basically, what I've been using for the longest time is an old S-51B vacuum-tube oscilloscope. Beautiful scope and still in quite good condition, but if these instruments are supposed to speak the truth of a circuit, this thing is a babbling drunk.

I got it from my high-school physics teacher who had taken them off the hands of a Berkeley physics department - the calibration date is 1973, 20 years before I existed. I have sentimental value to it because it and a defunct signal generator were my first spark into vacuum tubes, and thus electronics. I'm not going to get rid of the thing in the foreseeable future (unless it implodes), but I need to have an accurate, modern workhorse oscilloscope that I can actually use for things other than funny lines on the screen - my amp building and hardware design has gotten to the point where I don't absolutely need to, but I would feel much better being able to peer into and scope a circuit.

Right now, I've been looking at the MSO2000 series. Tektronix has a reputation for lasting oscilloscopes, and they seem to be reasonably (if low-thousands is reasonable :confused:) priced.

What are everyone's thoughts and suggestions for a scope? Anyone have a similar model to that? I'm looking for something that isn't top-of-the-line, but isn't entry-level in the sense of 'dumbed-down' or basic. I want something that is decently affordable, but will last me for the long haul without needing to be replaced or upgraded as my designs or experience advance.

All things considered, I'm going to take quite awhile to look, as it isn't a light investment and I don't want to buy it too early (and have the end try to justify the means).

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Hi,

Tektronix is a famous brand and I am the happy owner of an old but trusty 2465B. However this time they loose the battle, in this price range the infiniivision 2000 from agilent is a better choice, some time they even offer the signal generator option for free.

have a look on this:

Dave also give a try on the agilent one, to be checked on EEVBlog

regards,
Olivier

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
Hi,

Tektronix is a famous brand and I am the happy owner of an old but trusty 2465B. However this time they loose the battle, in this price range the infiniivision 2000 from agilent is a better choice, some time they even offer the signal generator option for free.

have a look on this:

Dave also give a try on the agilent one, to be checked on EEVBlog

regards,
Olivier

That looks very promising.

The upgradeability of the Agilent is a major plus. With every scope, there's a learning curve (even more so with the modern, digital ones), and the fact that it can be system-upgraded without having to relearn the system is a major bonus.

The signal generator is an even bigger bonus, as most of what I'm looking for in an oscilloscope for use is in the analog hardware realm, so being able to put out a clean signal to an input and read the output to make a determination, well, that makes the job 100 times easier.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Don't buy any. Build one on your own. :)

Attachments

• DSCN2478.JPG
    DSCN2478.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 123

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
Don't buy any. Build one on your own. :)

I have considered that, although I was scared away by the fear of not being able to calibrate it properly.

But that photo is something of beauty. You have something to be proud of with that build right there!