Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Summing class A amplifier for headphones

KiwiPower

Sep 30, 2013
Hi guys! I'm new here I just signed up today.

I like to listen to music while playing PlayStation games but I also like to wear headphones over using speakers because, no one ever complains about the noise and they sound great.

I thought, what about making a mixing amplifier that can take in the RCA audio from the PS3 and take in the headphone audio from a tablet, mix them, and output them to headphone jacks. Notice more than one headphone jack because every once in a while I'll play with a mate which means currently I have to sacrifice my headphones for speakers for us both to hear the game! (first world problems I know).

So I'm thinking 3 or 4 input channels with independent gain control
Not sure if I'll go as far as to put independent tone control on each input channel, that would add a lot of components! It would be awesome but also overkill.
But I'm keen on a master output tone control.

I'm a rookie at this but that could be done with a simple arrangement of op-amps?

The output power will be pretty low so a simple class A amplifier would do for output stage? Might as well make distortion savings when we can right.

So this would be a somewhat special purpose device. I don't think anyone else anywhere has a need for one of these!

So now we get to the questions part. I'm wondering what kind of power (mW) are we talking about here to drive more than one of your average headphones/earphones? Normally it will just drive one but on special occasions I would like it to cope with 2 or more output loads. What pk-pk voltages do RCA audio signals have and what pk-pk voltages to headphones normally run on? And what are their impedances?

Cheers :)

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
To summarize your requirements: 2 stereo inputs; 1 at line level and 1 at headphone level, mixed, equalized and amplified to 2 stereo outputs at headphone level. A musician's headphone amplifier/mixer similar to this would do most of what you want. Equalization would probably require a separate module. Either way, it's probably easier to buy than build.

http://m.guitarcenter.com/Behringer...reo-Headphone-Amplifier-103733549-i1125160.gc

A more local source:

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/livesound/live-sound-processing/audio-solutions

Last edited: