Maker Pro
Maker Pro

sunbeam electric blanket no heat

jon5500

Oct 31, 2020
Well aware of the so called Sunbeam guarantee. I went through this for five years before the pandemic started. I returned three failed blankets during that period. I had to pay for return shipping for all of them. When I got to the third return, Sunbeam started dragging their feet and it took several email inquiries to get them to send the final blanket. It was after that that I decided to build my own. I used one of the failed blankets and rewired it, then added my own controller. Everything is now on 12 VDC with overload and short circuit protection. I can adjust from 15 to 80 watts. I did the same thing with one of their electric throws that failed too. This is the second year I've been using the blanket and throw and they work as well as the day I made them.

Whatever goes on with the Sunbeam blankets and throws occurs within the blankets themselves. When one failed, I swapped controllers and even changed out what I thought might be a faulty transistor in the blanket where the cord plugs in. Changed the transistor and no difference. I'm not sure if the blanket wire increases resistance over time or what, or whether there's yet another circuit within the blanket (other than at the plug in base) that fails, but they sure don't last like they once did. The Sunbeam I had growing up in the early 80's lasted at least 15 years and operated the same always; it was only my mother who tossed it after I moved out. I tried to see if it was still stored somewhere at her house after I started having all the trouble with the current ones, but long gone.

Jennyp

Dec 21, 2021
Well aware of the so called Sunbeam guarantee. I went through this for five years before the pandemic started. I returned three failed blankets during that period. I had to pay for return shipping for all of them. When I got to the third return, Sunbeam started dragging their feet and it took several email inquiries to get them to send the final blanket. It was after that that I decided to build my own. I used one of the failed blankets and rewired it, then added my own controller. Everything is now on 12 VDC with overload and short circuit protection. I can adjust from 15 to 80 watts. I did the same thing with one of their electric throws that failed too. This is the second year I've been using the blanket and throw and they work as well as the day I made them.

Whatever goes on with the Sunbeam blankets and throws occurs within the blankets themselves. When one failed, I swapped controllers and even changed out what I thought might be a faulty transistor in the blanket where the cord plugs in. Changed the transistor and no difference. I'm not sure if the blanket wire increases resistance over time or what, or whether there's yet another circuit within the blanket (other than at the plug in base) that fails, but they sure don't last like they once did. The Sunbeam I had growing up in the early 80's lasted at least 15 years and operated the same always; it was only my mother who tossed it after I moved out. I tried to see if it was still stored somewhere at her house after I started having all the trouble with the current ones, but long gone.

Jennyp

Dec 21, 2021
Funny thing is iñ college I had a Cannon that worked perfect for 10 years but had an analog turn diàl controller. I only got rid of it because the blanket was very pilled. The only concern I have with working on one is if it caught on fire you can't get a lawyer. Lol They really are junk and cost $140 in my area for a full size. Lol

TomV

Feb 4, 2023
I have a Sunbeam Electric Blanket that has stopped heatimg. I suspect that the blanket connector board has gone bad. Cannot find any information on the availabiliy of a replacement part? Would appreciate any information on the availability of a replacement part?
1675526440436.jpeg1675526462445.jpeg

jon5500

Oct 31, 2020
My experience with the connector board is that it is not faulty and the fault lies within the blanket itself. I went through the same issue and went so far as to replace the board components but to no avail. Best advice is to avoid Sunbeam blankets or send it back for replacement if still under warranty. The blankets don't last like they once did, unfortunately. Good luck.

TomV

Feb 4, 2023
My experience with the connector board is that it is not faulty and the fault lies within the blanket itself. I went through the same issue and went so far as to replace the board components but to no avail. Best advice is to avoid Sunbeam blankets or send it back for replacement if still under warranty. The blankets don't last like they once did, unfortunately. Good luck.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posting - Thank you. I measured the resistance of the four wires that attach to the blanket heating elements and the four readings were between 2134 and 2250 ohms, so it looks like the heating elements themselves are good. When I measured the resistance between the four connctor pins I got readings between pins 1&2 and 1&4 but the readings between pin 3 and the other pins was an open circuit. Neither side of the blanket is heating which is puzzling? Do you know if there is a schematic diagram for the board anywhere?

jon5500

Oct 31, 2020
IIRC, you can use the patent number written on the blanket tag to find a schematic using patent search. I believe the resistance of the blanket increases over time causing it to heat less until there's no heat. I ended up rebuilding mine using different wire and controller and it has worked great for four years. I do have some electrical experience, so not recommended unless the same is true for you. It's very easy to end up with too hot of a blanket and/or shorts and opens without protective circuitry. Good luck.....

TomV

Feb 4, 2023
IIRC, you can use the patent number written on the blanket tag to find a schematic using patent search. I believe the resistance of the blanket increases over time causing it to heat less until there's no heat. I ended up rebuilding mine using different wire and controller and it has worked great for four years. I do have some electrical experience, so not recommended unless the same is true for you. It's very easy to end up with too hot of a blanket and/or shorts and opens without protective circuitry. Good luck.....
Thank you for responding to my posting. I have experience repairing both electrical and electronic equipment. I tried using the patent number to find the schematic but was unable to find a one anywhere. I have never seen flat board mountd components bbeore like the ones on the board? A schematic sure would help pinpoint the problem.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@TomV : Please don't hijack old threads. Next time create a new tread of your own, please.