Maker Pro
Maker Pro

surface mount assembly

a.mlw.walker

Nov 15, 2011
Hi guys
I have had help manufacturing a board that is based on the arduino mega2560 but I cant solder the smd components - one of them being the mega2560 TQFP package, one being the mega16U2 TQFP package. I dont have any solder masks made, but I wondered whether someone could help me assemble this board. Perhaps someone has a reflow oven or something? If interested pm me your email address and Id be up for discussion - a profressional company wants to charge me a fortune....

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
A TQFP can be soldered manually with a very fine tip.
And a steady hand.

a.mlw.walker

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah but I am totally inexperienced at soldering surface mount, just looking for some assembly help basically...

a.mlw.walker

Nov 15, 2011
Perhaps I can put this another way.
I have a list of parts from eagle that are included in my design. I am struggling to make the shopping basket on digikey because it doesnt necessarily have the exact components codes. Could someone (I'll pay) go through the list of components, and find alternatives that do exist on digikey - and basically make the shopping basket for me.
My worry is that I dont know what will work in a components place, others (you) might?

I am actually willing to pay someone to do the assembly for me - would have to be UK based though.
Thanks
A

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I'm in the US but willing to work with you on assembly, if you can't find a UK source... I can manually solder or reflow, it would all depend on the quantity and board layout...

A TQFP can be soldered manually with a very fine tip.

I find TQFP to be one of the easier large IC packages to solder manually... As you said it's not that hard, but like everything practice and skills make all the difference...

a.mlw.walker

Nov 15, 2011
Im willing to give the soldering a shot myself, but I would be very grateful if you could help me build the shopping basket with digikey or a similar supplier. If you pm me your email address we can talk there?

a.mlw.walker

Nov 15, 2011
UK surface mount assembly will pay

Hi everyone.
I have designed a pcb that uses quite a few surface mount components. I am just wanting a one off a the moment, and cant afford to get a proffessional company to charge me a bomb to make it. It requires soldering an avr mega2560 QTFP and an avr mega16U2 in QTFP but a slight probability of MLF which would require a reflow oven and solder mask (which I dont have).
Can anyone help me with either of these? Would also possibly need to solder the vias.
I am uk based - so would post the boards to you and have parts ordered to you.
thanks
Alex
P.S PM me if interested

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@a.mlw.walker: I moved your new thread to the end of this thread. Please stay within one thread for one topic.

a.mlw.walker

Nov 15, 2011
Sorry...
And I very much appreciate your offer CocaCola, but if you are in America I think it might be difficult.
'solder the vias'... i.e how to connect the two layers together?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Sorry...
And I very much appreciate your offer CocaCola, but if you are in America I think it might be difficult.
'solder the vias'... i.e how to connect the two layers together?

Not difficult at all, it just requires a few day shipping delay... I have shipped a lot of stuff to and from the UK (as well as many other countries), and have never had issues...

As for the vias is this a homemade board? Almost all production boards will have plated through vias nowadays...

a.mlw.walker

Nov 15, 2011
Ok Thats interesting. Alright - what can you offer? I have the eagle files for the board (almost) complete, I will be able to get a parts list, and you being in America can probably get easier access to the parts than me - I seem to be able to find lots of American sites with the parts that I need
So can you manufacture or find a manufacturer and assemble?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I was under the impression you had the boards made already? If not yes I could get them manufactured at one of the board houses I use (no I don't manufacture boards myself) but you might want to just have them manufactured yourself no sense involving a middle man... Once they are done you could send them to me for assembly after you inspect/verify them... I will/can do all the assembly in house for low volume runs... Although a pick and place machine is in my near future at this time I still do hand placement of the components so I will only do smaller sized runs in house, time permiting... For a small volume run of SMD populated boards I would get a disposable solder stencil made (I would need your board files) the disposable plastic stencils are much more affordable and work just fine for up to about 1000 boards in most cases... From there I would hand place the parts and run it through my reflow machine, visually inspect, manually touch up any parts and give the board a cleaning if necessary... And ship it back upon completion...

Sourcing parts is not an issue in the US...

ProtronixEMS

Sep 17, 2012
Hi,

New to the forum, i plan on being a worthy contributor to the board, but am using my first post as a bit of a plug having come across this post.

To the OP, this is something we can help you with.

We are based in the UK.

www.protronix.co.uk

a.mlw.walker

Nov 15, 2011
Excellent Protronix,
I will contact you when I get the gerber files back.
Can you manufacture boards?
Are you a small private business or a large company?
Alex

ProtronixEMS

Sep 17, 2012
Excellent Protronix,
I will contact you when I get the gerber files back.
Can you manufacture boards?
Are you a small private business or a large company?
Alex

Hi Alex,

We are a small to medium sized business.

Been in business for 26 years.

Have automated smt lines, but also offer fast turnaround prototying.