Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Surface mounted component diode / rectifier identification

Paul101

Jun 27, 2019
Hi
I am what you might call a noob with regards repairing electronics. I have a computer graphics card which has died, there is no video out put but the fans still spin so I figure there is power getting to the card. I have used a multimeter to test a number of the components on the card and found one that is dead. If my research is correct it appears to be a diode / rectifier and I believe is of the one way (Schottky ?) variety. I have tried to identify the component without much success. I have searched using all and part of the code on the surface and also tried to identify the manufacturer by the logo on the component but without any luck I have attached a couple of pictures of the board and component. The markings appear to read 150 570P3. Any help in identifying the component so that I can get a replacement would be gratefully received. IMG_2023_1_1.JPG 980Ti Matrix.jpg

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Paul 101 . . . . . . . . . . .(Is/does the 101 meaning / indicate that you are just in the very first developmental stages of learning to be a Paul ?)

Looking at the all BLACK pcb I am seeing a LOT of inductive filters and E-caps.

I would perceive that the MAIN DC power comes in at the heavy J8 connnector at top right corner and a possibility of paired
connections to get some increased current capability.

I see 4 white power resistors running up and down the board to the left . . .
0.68 ohms
2.2 ohms
2.2 ohms
and
0.68 ohms
Respective ones feed into a cluster of . . .
2 paired 270ufd@15V E-caps
1 single 270ufd@15V E-cap
A trio of 270ufd@15V E-caps
A paired set of E-caps that the black overspay precludes me from reading
I think that they will be a pair of different values, vice all the prior 270 ufd 's.
You will have to provide those values.
Then just to the left is a long common strip heat sink that serves the MULTIPLE ! power IC's mounted under it.
The digital processsing magic aspects occurs with the two SM ICS 1/4 of the way up the PCB, and feed into the right sides of the power IC's..
The left side of the heatsinked power IC's has them outputting into inductive and capacitor combos in processing back into the analog world and filtering and cleaning away any random digital artifacts and trash.

NOW ! . . . notice the string of upload_2019-6-28_3-45-12.png filters , with PL11 being at the very bottom, and go on up to PL23 at the very top.
Their associateve companion E-filter caps, are always being located just to their left . . . some times being as pairs.
Note that THE PL24 is being physically misplaced from the prior orders, and is then being the sole one at the very bottom rght of the heat sink.
BUT where is its normal canned companion E-cap to its left ? . . . . . . . .WELL . . . . in this case, I believe that they have opted for a sub of either a block monolithic ceramic or a molded dry tantalum capacitor type.
So that part wouldn't be a diode as you surmised . . . . just let that end band polarity marking, be for a cap instead of a diode.
Considering all of the others, I suspicion it to be a 150 ufd unit.

Now, on the parts marking procedure, initially taking PL as an example :
I am perceiving an interpretation of the asssigned P as being redundant, but with the following " L " as being inductive in electronic nature.

With another parts marking procedure, taking PCE as an example :
I am perceiving an interpretation of the asssigned P as being redundant, but with the " CE " as being Capacitor Electrolytic.

So . . .Don Quixote . . . . discard your lance . . .dismount from Rocinante . . . .and give up this random windmill chasing.

Use some ohmmic and capacitive instrumentation to confirm the above parts identities . . . . . realities.

Thaaaaaaaasssssit . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

Actually . . . . . . . . Efficiency is just being a highly refined and developed form of laziness. . . . . .viz . . . .doing less work.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
With another parts marking procedure, taking PCE as an example :
I am perceiving an interpretation of the asssigned P as being redundant, but with the " CE " as being Capacitor Electrolytic.

you may end up being right, but it looks much more like a power diode ;)

Paul101

Jun 27, 2019
Given the type of capacitor used adjacent to this compent it would seem a bit odd to change the type.

Further investigation has identified other similar components elsewhere on the board adjacent to the memory chips and the SLi connectors. Continuity test of these components with one probe to earth and the other to the end of the component shows continuity at both ends of all of the simmilar packaged components but not this one. If they were capacitors should there only be continuity on one side of the component?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
If they were capacitors should there only be continuity on one side of the component?

if it was a lot of components that statement would be true

so why are you obsessed about this component ?

there is a remote possibility that it is a tantalum cap. use your meter in diode mon and measure each way directly across the component

caps

Jul 29, 2018
The markings appear to read 150 570P3.
This is a 150µF polymer capacitor.
If you had a C / ESR meter, the component identification problem would be solved very quickly.