Maker Pro
Maker Pro

swimming pool pump remote solenoid control

bboy

Jun 3, 2024
i want to be able to turn on my pool pump on and off remotely. the pool pump has two separate buttons for on and off. solenoid requirement stroke is 1/8 inch with 1/2 pound. i have an electrical outlet 110 volts ac that i can control remotely via wifi. i want to have two solenoids, one solenoid to turn on and the other to turn off. when i turn on the electrical outlet via wifi, i want the one solenoid to only pulse 1/2 second and press on the on-button on pump, not continues, only pulse. then i want the second solenoid to do the same, 1/2 second pulse, but to press on the off-button on the pump, when i turn off the electrical outlet via wifi. i will have another electrical outlet for powering my device project. i want to build this with just the old fashion ordinary-over-the-counter transistors, resistors, capacitors and of course solenoids. nothing with audrino nor raspberry pie stuff. also, please give me recommendation for micro solenoid to use. i've seen some products on amazon.com but they're 80-150 dollars. i know i can build something much cheaper with your help. i'm frugal not cheap. i have a pool party in two weeks and i hope to accomplish this device project. can any of you geniuses here on this forum help me please. i would greatly appreciate it. thank you. B

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
i want to be able to turn on my pool pump on and off remotely
...................and just how remotely would that be?

One could simply use an off-the-shelf remote switch and wire the relay outputs on the receiver to the start and stop button contacts.
A 2 channel momentary would probably suit.
They are available with latching or momentary outputs and cost no more than a few bucks a pop.
Guessing a range of perhaps 30-50 metres.......... available in frequencies to suit whatever country you live in.(well, most)

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Forgive me... my graphics suck! Cut and paste from a phone.
Here's how industrial equipment is started and stopped using momentary pushbuttons.
1717438353451_1717439315540.png

The circuit is called a "locked-out relay."
It uses an ordinary relay and the ON switch activates the relay to close the terminals.
When the switch is released, the relay remains activated and the load is powered via the contacts of the relay.
When the OFF switch is pressed, the relay is de-energised and the contacts open.
This removes power to the load.
You will have to fabricate a bracket. They come in AC buy two, this way you'll get exactly what you want.
It's just my two cents throwing it out there... I hope it helps.
I'm not a mechanical engineer but I played one on TV.
-Delta Prime

bboy

Jun 3, 2024
...................and just how remotely would that be?

One could simply use an off-the-shelf remote switch and wire the relay outputs on the receiver to the start and stop button contacts.
A 2 channel momentary would probably suit.
They are available with latching or momentary outputs and cost no more than a few bucks a pop.
Guessing a range of perhaps 30-50 metres.......... available in frequencies to suit whatever country you live in.(well, most)
how remotely? i travel a lot and i want to control from away. i bought this wifi system that monitors the pool water. acidic or alkaline, etc. and it has some kind of contraption that adds certain chemicals to the water to keep it good. it also has one electrical outlet 110 vac that i can control on/off via wifi. my pump is 220 volts ac and i don't want to add anymore wiring externally 220 vac relay contactor and i could just easily add a split phase 220 vac relay to control the power to my pump. as it is, my pump is on an internal timer incorporated in pump housing and i don't want to mess with the circuitry. i just want to have a couple of solenoids to physically press on the pump motor override on/off switches.

bboy

Jun 3, 2024
Forgive me... my graphics suck! Cut and paste from a phone.
Here's how industrial equipment is started and stopped using momentary pushbuttons.
View attachment 63850

The circuit is called a "locked-out relay."
It uses an ordinary relay and the ON switch activates the relay to close the terminals.
When the switch is released, the relay remains activated and the load is powered via the contacts of the relay.
When the OFF switch is pressed, the relay is de-energised and the contacts open.
This removes power to the load.
You will have to fabricate a bracket. They come in AC buy two, this way you'll get exactly what you want.
It's just my two cents throwing it out there... I hope it helps.
I'm not a mechanical engineer but I played one on TV.
-Delta Prime
thank you delta prime and i will ponder on your reply. check out my reply to bluejets and see if the explanation to my project make more sense. sorry i tend to not make sense most of the time.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
how remotely? i travel a lot and i want to control from away.
This is normally achieved via a basic timer and pool water monitoring devices. (and possibly one of the kids or neighbour once a week)
If you have a pool, stands to reason you must have the dosh.
If I were you, I'd be getting some local pool tech to advise on your best approach.
Seeing what you have and what is possible would be best solution as your "fix" may not be desirable.

bboy

Jun 3, 2024
This is normally achieved via a basic timer and pool water monitoring devices. (and possibly one of the kids or neighbour once a week)
If you have a pool, stands to reason you must have the dosh.
If I were you, I'd be getting some local pool tech to advise on your best approach.
Seeing what you have and what is possible would be best solution as your "fix" may not be desirable.
thank you for your input bluejets. maybe we get others to chime in and have a simple schematic circuitry for my project...