Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Swingline nail gun semi ideas please

punkieys17

Feb 7, 2016
So had a bug in the system - literally. My nail gun shorted across the thyristor (a S6010L) to Q1 via a bug that took out the electrolytic C1 (50uf) and Q1 - amazingly despite fireworks everything else tests OK. The clue that the cap is gone is one half blasted out (!) and half of Q1 no longer exists.....making identification a bit of a problem. Im looking for suggestions for the replacement of the npn Q1 which appears to be a standard T092 case. Im running on 230V ac.

Attachments

• nail.JPG
    nail.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 14

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
They are all NPN's. If Q2 and Q3 are the same, I'm willing to bet so is Q1.

punkieys17

Feb 7, 2016
Unfortunately in good mass production style they have a thick varnish that obscures the markings.....

punkieys17

Feb 7, 2016
While the gun has no label remaining it appears to be the same as the 34201. Although it is stated as 110v the patent application from where the circuit diagram came states the circuit works 110-240v though with the addition of what appears to be the first capacitor as shown in section 12a to the right of the diagram.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir punkieys17 . . . . .

Might I "consume" that your supplied drawing also came from a Patent draft of Swingline, which you might have found on the case of your unit, and then researched it ?
Now, had you further read within the actual "meat" of the patent, you would found the units manner of operation as well as PARTS info.

I have submitted patent reference #1 which you may already have, but its text DOES garble up the parts listing when you get to it. .

So o o o o o o o . . . . the reference #2 has those parts listed . . . . but fully readable.
Ergo . . . .Q1 is being of the 2N3904 family / genus. . .

It also confirms that 220V operational units have the SCR beefed up to a 400PIV unit and there is being an X type rated capacitor across the AC for line transient protection.

The only special . . . selected . . . . part I see is Q3, of which, they are using its C-E breakdown characteristics as a zener diode.
BUT that is being somewhat isolated away, from your already found troublespot.

Now . . . . . .FIXERUP . . . and let those nails FLY Y Y Y Y Y Y Y . . . . .

REFERENCE #1

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4305541A/en

REFERENCE # 2

https://patents.justia.com/patent/4305541

(Under Electronic Circuitry)

73's de Edd . . . . .

Tact is the art of making guests feel at home . . . . . when, in actuality . . . . . that's where you wish THEY were.

punkieys17

Feb 7, 2016
Absolutely brilliant. Yes id found a patent application but you found the key one. Working my way through the circuit - so far replaced the cap and Q1 with no success but its not far now, looking at the SCR and Q2 - I suspect the gate circuit of the SCR got zapped. Many thansk, Julian