Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switch is being detected as on even when in off position.

Alex Taylor

Apr 17, 2017
So I am trying to use a 32 Button PCB Board to make a dashboard for ETS2. I have managed to make a couple of switches work (Key switch and some ON/OFF/ON switches uses to lift and lower the axles on the truck and trailer) however now I am onto the gear knob. Now I have managed to get this to work before however I had to extend the cables using some very thin wire to make them fit into the terminals on the PCB but these were snapping at the ends under the weight so I cut off the extensions and re-soldered them on using thicker wire. Now here's were I am having the problems the button on the tip of the gear knob and on the side which is used for high and low range are working as they should when tested on the multi-meter and when plugged into the PCB Board but the button on the front of the knob to split the gears works fine on the multi-meter but when I plug it into the PCB it is always active. However this doesn't change no matter which terminal the wires are plugged into. And as I've said I know it's not the switch because I have tested it with a multi-meter and it works fine and it did before I replaced the wire. However this is the same wire that I used for the other switches as well. So if anyone can help me diagnose the problem that would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Alex

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't KNOW, but from your description of the problem I'd consider checking these two issues:
1) Recheck the desoldered/resoldered contacts on the wires you replaced, in case you have a short or an open.
2) You may have damaged the interface board electronics while testing your set-up.
I'm making these guesses based on you saying you're sure the switches themselves are alright.

Alex Taylor

Apr 17, 2017
I don't KNOW, but from your description of the problem I'd consider checking these two issues:
1) Recheck the desoldered/resoldered contacts on the wires you replaced, in case you have a short or an open.
2) You may have damaged the interface board electronics while testing your set-up.
I'm making these guesses based on you saying you're sure the switches themselves are alright.

Thanks for the fast reply. Well this is where I am confused as when I put the probes from the multi-meter on the wires coming from the gear knob and toggle it on and off it works as it should. I don't see how there could be a short as I have used heat shrink to cover the joints and it works with the multi-meter. And when it comes to the interface the problem happens no matter which terminal it's inserted into. But if I move the wires coming from the other switches into the terminal I am trying to use it works fine.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm not familiar with your interface board. Does it require some type of programming?
If you don't see a problem with the switch continuity itself, I would think you may have blown one of the
interface terminal inputs (or outputs).
How is your system grounded? Is it possible your grounding configuration to the interface board is causing the signal to bypass your connection on that input/output?
Is it possible one of the other inputs to the terminals on the board is unintentionally (through a ground wire or some
other wire) making contact OUTSIDE of the interface board. I'm thinking about your gear knob maybe being
'grounded' to one of the other devices on your interface board input connections. (The chassis?)
It may be that you're concentrating on the interface board, and not seeing some unexpected connection to
one or more of the inputs to the interface board outside of the board you're working with(?)