Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switch on light when a different dimmable light is on

agentsmart

Oct 10, 2017
I have a light that is connected to a dimmer (that is wireless and controlled by a remote). At the same place as the dimmer there is a connection to a different light that is not dimmable. This light is currently not hooked up. What I would like to achieve is that when the dimmable light is on, no matter at what level, the non-dimmable light should also be on. When the dimmer is off the other light should also be off.

Do I need some kind of relay to get this to work or what is the best solution?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
From your description, I would think you just need a 'multi-gang' switch.
I don't know how your 'remote' switch is configured, but I would think the same signal to remotely turn-on your dimmer light, could also be used to turn 'on' the non-dimmable one at the same time (and 'off' again).
Any schematics or hook-up drawings come with your remote switch?
That'd go a long way to seeing the best way to do this.

turbogt16v

Mar 27, 2015
Relay would do just fine, but thr problem is you would need to wire it from wireless light to non wireless

agentsmart

Oct 10, 2017
From your description, I would think you just need a 'multi-gang' switch.
I don't know how your 'remote' switch is configured, but I would think the same signal to remotely turn-on your dimmer light, could also be used to turn 'on' the non-dimmable one at the same time (and 'off' again).
Any schematics or hook-up drawings come with your remote switch?
That'd go a long way to seeing the best way to do this.

Thanks. The dimmer is a Fibaro Dimmer 2 using z-wave. I'm not using a central controller for home automation though. I tried to connect the same remote button to a wireless relay but then I get two different kinds of devices (dimmer and relay) connected to the same button which meant that the remote control treats them both as if they were relays and I miss out on the dimming feature.

In relation to the remote button it is a Merten/Schneider Connect Radio push-button. This device is the only one that exactly matches the other Schneider Exxact buttons, outlets etc that we have at home and therefore, to get an acceptable WAF, it must be used...

http://www.merten.de/uploads/tx_seqdownload/V5000_581_01_Web.pdf
http://manuals.fibaro.com/content/manuals/en/FGD-212/FGD-212-EN-T-v1.3.pdf

agentsmart

Oct 10, 2017
Relay would do just fine, but thr problem is you would need to wire it from wireless light to non wireless

It's not a problem at all to run a wire between those two. It's not possible to wire the actual button though. What I haven't been able to figure out is what relay to use. A relay may use an impulse to switch something on/off but when the dimmer is turned on there won't be an actual impulse. Or am I missing something here?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Take the feed cable out of the non-dimmed switch and terminate,
Replace with a cable from the switch terminal of the dimmed light switch.

Note that if mains connected you will require a certified electrician in many countries to make any changes.

Attachments

• Dimmed.jpg
    Dimmed.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

agentsmart

Oct 10, 2017
Take the feed cable out of the non-dimmed switch and terminate,
Replace with a cable from the switch terminal of the dimmed light switch.

Note that if mains connected you will require a certified electrician in many countries to make any changes.
Very good. Thanks a lot!