Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switch to turn on multiple components

AhmedAhmed

Feb 21, 2014
Hello guys,

I was wondering if anyone new of a switch model or type that allowed for multiple components to be turned on. I have a circuit which contains 2 servos (connected to 2 separate batteries) and an arduino connected to a lithium backpack. If I simply connected the batteries to each device, the devices would be consuming power (at idle) so im looking for a switch that would allow me to connect the 2 servos and the arduino to their respective power sources, in one go.

Thanks a lot, and appreciate any helpful comments :)

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to the forum, Ahmed.

For three sources/loads a 3PST (3 pole single throw) swizch can be used, e.g. this one.
This one is possibly a bit heavy for a model.

Another idea is using a relay with multiple contacts (or multiple relays. The contatc side of the relay(s) would switch the power from the battery to the load. The coil is operated from one of the batteries (or the coils, if multipe relays are used).
Disadvantage here is that the relay will use power while a switch doesn't draw power from the battery.

AhmedAhmed

Feb 21, 2014
Thank you for your reply,

I initially looked at a 3PST switch but I understood its method of operation as essentially being a single switch with 3 available conditions, rather than a single switch that when turned on, acts as three simultaneous switches. Is this an incorrect interpretation ?

A multiple contact relay is an interesting proposal, but yes it will need a permanent power supply in order to function.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
A 3PST switch as the one I linked has 3 contacts (see datasheet).

A lightweight solution instead of the relays could use P-channel MOSFETS:
attachment.php

Attachments

• bla.gif
    bla.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 176