Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switches/LED's on 120v

bhunt83

Sep 15, 2019
Not sure if this is the right section but...

Looking to wire a standard home AC outlet power strip to a set of switches & leds. The end goal is to a button that when pressed resets/stops the power strip(being used to reset a modem/router) by using a momentary switch that acts as "kill switch"

However there is a bit more to the project. I would like to first have a set of toggle switches that must be turned on to allow the "kill switch" to work. Flipping the first toggle will activate an led, the 2nd toggle switch will activate a second led, as well as a blinking led, so you know the push button is ready to go. Then when the button is pressed, the power strip would loose power(only while the button is being pressed).

If this was a 12v project I could wire the switches and LED's. The new territory for me is running it all from a wall outlet, and momentarily cutting power to a power strip.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
If this was a 12v project I could wire the switches and LED's. The new territory for me is running it all from a wall outlet, and momentarily cutting power to a power strip.
Make it a 12 V project. Use a suitable power relay at the end of the chain to turn mains power on or off at the end of the sequence.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
A simpler method would be to use ‘Home Automation’ like ‘Byron’ or ‘X10’ modules. There are also Apps for automation. All can be done from a SAFE distance from mains voltage. You have each item plugged into their own module and the extension lead plugged into one also. These modules are just remote controlled relays. The extension lead module is the last final ‘kill all’ power.
Regarding LEDs and toggle switches, as @Harald Kapp suggested, simple relay boards can be purchased online. You will need to activate a relay with an inline switch on the output. A current limiting resistor and LED.
Now, if you put more inline switches, you will get your ‘code’ sequence.
The final switch is TOTAL on or off.

Martin