Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Synchronising two wave forms.

fpsasm

Jun 13, 2010
Hello, I need to find a method of synchronising two waves.

I have two inputs, A and B. Input A will have a clock attached to it, and I require this clock to be at a set frequency all the time. Input B, will need to operate at half the frequency of input A, and it needs to be synchronised with the clock, but the wave might arrive at any time.

How could I synchronise input B with input A.

(I am trying to Manchester encode, if this is any help?)

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
Manchester encoding is done to combine a data signal and clock signal into a single stream. But you have two data signals and a clock signal? And you want to sync the two data signals without varying the frequency of the clock, so no phase-locked loop. In that case the only thing to do would be to sample the B signal with the A signal clock using an edge-triggered flip-flop. Whether you trigger on the positive or negative transition of the clock might depend on which edge the A signal changes. Any race conditions to consider?

fpsasm

Jun 13, 2010
Manchester encoding is done to combine a data signal and clock signal into a single stream. But you have two data signals and a clock signal? And you want to sync the two data signals without varying the frequency of the clock, so no phase-locked loop. In that case the only thing to do would be to sample the B signal with the A signal clock using an edge-triggered flip-flop. Whether you trigger on the positive or negative transition of the clock might depend on which edge the A signal changes. Any race conditions to consider?

I understand this, but I require both inputs to be synchronised.

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
I explained how to sync the inputs, and you said you understood. Is there anything else?