Maker Pro
Maker Pro

System resource usage....

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I'm running WIndows 7 on an old Dell laptop (Inspiron 1525) and it generally runs well enough but...

...looking at the system resources in Task Manager I see Firefox is running two instances (even with just one page open), one instance using some 400Mb or resource and the other using some 150Mb.

First, why two instances of Firefox?

Secondly, 550Mb to run a browser???? FFS, what heck happened to efficient programming?

I haven't looked into this before but what other browsers are there that run more efficiently?

I've had a 'beef' about slackware programmers who rely on ever-increasing processor power to disguise their pathetic efforts at proper programming - by that I mean programming efficiently and with consideration for compact software. I seem to recall, back in the old DOS days (yes, I'm that old!) I could run a simple 3D graphics design package in under 1Mb and Word Processing was done with a package that came on a single floppy disk.......

Yeah, I'm a grumpy old f@rt..... but what can you do????? :D

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi ya

not sure why it should be showing 2 instances

just as an example, I'm running win10 on this PC
here is a screen dump showing app's open

Clipboard44.jpg

for FF, there are 3 tabs open and that is using 295 MB ( 1 tab = around 125 MB) but you can see there is only one instance of the program

IE as 5 tabs open and is sitting around 766 MB

Dave

would be interested to see a screen dump of your tasks list

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The screen capture below is for FF open on just this EP site.

I did find a whole load of add-on extensions that were running and have deleted them (some put on with recent software downloads - despite my clicking the 'no thanks' buttons.... grrrrrrr).

WTM.jpg

The resource use is now down to something a bit more respectable but I still can't fathom the two instances of FF????? Ending either process closes down my browser.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Well I followed those instructions and found that browser.remote.autostart.2 was what I needed to set to 'false' - but although it's stopped the second incidence of firefox running I now see that the resources used has increased :rolleyes: in 'compensation'???? It now shows 350Mb of resources being used.

Time to investigate some alternative browsers methinks.

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
Secondly, 550Mb to run a browser???? FFS, what heck happened to efficient programming?

Yeah, I'm a grumpy old f@rt..... but what can you do????? :D

Well, yeah, but those old DOS programs just did what you wanted them to do. That's no longer a priority. Programs now have to send every detail of your life back to someone, somewhere, so they'll know what color briefs you prefer to wear...etc ad infinitum.