Maker Pro
Maker Pro

tactile switch for digital camera

nargt

Feb 14, 2011
I'm attempting to "hot wire" the shutter/focus switch on a newish digital camera. The tactile switch is a small (3.5 mm or 4 mm square) surface mount device with 6 weld points and 4 leads leaving it on the top of the ribbon. The one near the label 1 leads to the negative terminal of a rechargeable 3.1 volt lithium battery.

The switch itself activates focus/meter when half pressed without an audible or tactile stop. Full press makes a small click.

I was looking for a manufacturer, name, and wiring diagram -- but I'd settle for some advice on how to proceed, or links to similar devices. This ribbon can be disconnected from the rest of the camera and I could even buy a new ribbon on ebay.

Thanks -- and apologies if it's too easy or too hard :)

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The half and full press style of tactile switch is probably a custom item.

But there are some you can purchase. Here is one. There is no easy way of knowing that the connections will be the same or not.

You need to determine where the connections are that are closed as the switch is half and fully depressed.

You almost certainly need to close one set of contacts before the other in order to take a picture correctly. You can't even guarantee that a picture will be taken as many cameras will refuse to fire the shutter unless they can detect something being in focus (that can generally be defeated by turning off auto-focus -- if possible on your camera).

nargt

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks!

I was hoping for an easy way out . . . but I should be able to figure this out with out too much mayhem. It's all about connectivity . . . right?

I'll probably get some help from a local electronics guru I know though. He's better at the micro stuff.