Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tail lights help

SubaruAmbassador

Feb 5, 2023
Hello everyone.
I'm currently trying to make some tail lights for the car and am trying to find good resources on how to power my idea properly if its even possible. I'm very new to all this pardon my ignorance.
Image 1 is the lights i put together as they are now.
I would like to change the blinker and reverse to a total of twelve 3v led filament tubes.
Image 2 is an idea just mapping with yarn.
I guess my question is, does anyone know of a semi easy to digest source of info to learn about converting the power, resistors, not going over the MA.
when i did the first setup they gave me a sheet on those individual leds and if i put blank in a row of this color i need blank resistor. so easy to make but i didn't learn anything.

Attachments

• 20220718_055241.jpg
    20220718_055241.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230129_192905.jpg
    20230129_192905.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 6

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Best check with your local regulations as to your lights. They usually have to meet with regulations pertaining to light levels and beam spread so you can't just put 'any old thing' in its place.

If you're using LED tape (seems like) then you don't need resistors as the tape includes them - all you do is use LED tape of the right colour and apply 12V (or whatever they're rated at).

SubaruAmbassador

Feb 5, 2023
Best check with your local regulations as to your lights. They usually have to meet with regulations pertaining to light levels and beam spread so you can't just put 'any old thing' in its place.

If you're using LED tape (seems like) then you don't need resistors as the tape includes them - all you do is use LED tape of the right colour and apply 12V (or whatever they're rated at).
these are the tubes they are very thin. I orderd one to check them out and it didn't look to have resistors due to the size.

Attachments

• 5509_Web.pdf
    116.6 KB · Views: 3

SubaruAmbassador

Feb 5, 2023
Hello everyone.
I'm currently trying to make some tail lights for the car and am trying to find good resources on how to power my idea properly if its even possible. I'm very new to all this pardon my ignorance.
Image 1 is the lights i put together as they are now.
I would like to change the blinker and reverse to a total of twelve 3v led filament tubes.
Image 2 is an idea just mapping with yarn.
I guess my question is, does anyone know of a semi easy to digest source of info to learn about converting the power, resistors, not going over the MA.
when i did the first setup they gave me a sheet on those individual leds and if i put blank in a row of this color i need blank resistor. so easy to make but i didn't learn anything.
here this is a better representation. is it possible to make this work?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230205_152053_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230205_152053_Samsung Notes.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 4

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I don't think there's any way those 'tubes' will deliver enough light to satisfy the rules - one way ticket to a traffic infringement....

But.... it's your licence at stake, not mine. Those devices will require a resistor of approximately 560 ohms to work at 12V.

SubaruAmbassador

Feb 5, 2023
I don't think there's any way those 'tubes' will deliver enough light to satisfy the rules - one way ticket to a traffic infringement....
I got one to test and they are surprisingly brighter than it seems on camera. six would be plenty bright for a blinker. definitely brighter than an oem bulb. it should be a bit dimmer than the 60 leds i have in it now. but I'm alright with that as they don't need to be that bright.

SubaruAmbassador

Feb 5, 2023

But.... it's your licence at stake, not mine. Those devices will require a resistor of approximately 560 ohms to work at 12V.

sweet I'll do a test at 560 ohms and post a pic of it. thank you for taking the time.