Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Taking Requests

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The 180Hz of fairly loud continuous interference is still there. It might be an input of 60Hz hum that is converted into a squarewave (180Hz) by the distortion circuit.
Is the cable between the guitar and the overdrive circuit a shielded audio cable?
Is the overdrive circuit powered from a battery?
Try mounting the overdrive circuit in a metal box connected to 0V.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
If I remember correctly, 3rd harmonic hum is caused by transformer induction.

Have you got a metal bodied jack plug? if so, short the terminals together and plug it into your box input and see if the hum goes away.

All the 0V connections must go back to one point and not be daisy chained all over the place.

A metal box, as mentioned a few times, would be the best for your installation with the box and ancillaries connected to battery 0V. See also the line above.

As already mentioned as well, screened input and output leads are a must not a maybe.

Common mode problem?

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
Sorry but as I mentioned in the post below, i did not use nthe box I built for this recording. Here is my post:

Well, this thread may have taken a slightly different musical turn. Some of you may be interested in this. Despite all the hardware stompboxes., some of the best sound these days, can be had by software plug ins.

For Santana fans, you may enjoy this. I solo'ed to a Sanatana type backing track. The first file is me soloing to the backign track. the second is just my lead guitar, in case you want to hear it.

The plug in I used is called Oye Come Va....and it tries to imitate that Santana sound. It is an average plug in. Nothing great. Believe it or not, in the studio, my preferred way to get my sound is through my Ipad and a plug in by Bias effects. In my opinion, it goives me a better recorded sound, than a real amp. And because it is a plug in, no micorphones involved. Just direct record.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
I am rusty on that front. I used to play that on acoustic with the right notes and it sounded great. Thanks for listening

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I am glad to hear that you got rid of the hum (without an amplifier and microphone?).
My wife is from Spain so we listen to a fair amount of flamenco music from acoustic guitar with absolutely no awful distortion.
The acoustic guitar is slapped frequently. What happens when you slap an electric guitar? Not much sound?

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
I think we may be violently agreeing ;-)

But first let me clarify something. The last recordings you heard, were using a plug in. I did not use a pedal. I simply plugged my electric guitar directly into my audio interface, and then streamed it through a plug in that is served up through my computer.

There should be no issue concerning electric vs. acoustic guitar. I am a big fan of acoustic guitar. I learned with an acoustic, i prefer acoustic and love the fact that it is a pure way of playing.

I been on my electric lately because I am playing and teach lead guitar. Also, it was easier simply to play the flamenco request oin my electric, as I already had it plugged in and hooked up. Maybe someone day , I'll post me playing acoustic.

Electrics have a place and so do acoustics. Electric would not be my choice to play Flamenco. Acoustic would not be my choice to play Sweet Child of Mine.

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
ok AudioGuru-- I whipped this up just for you, on an acoustic with no awful distortion..lol

see if you can guess this piece. I'll give you a hint., It is kind of related to the word "No"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PJVlGsUXLG7cE5qUitcWSvwRsOh9L5Ay/view?usp=sharing

BTW..this is not easy to play-= especially since the last time I played it was in 1983 or so. I had to punch in a few times because I kept forgetting the fingering. It had a mistake or two, and the termpo sped up and slowed, but not bad since it has been ages,

Technical details. I used an Ovation acounstic guitar that I plugged in directly into my audio interface. After recording, I ran the track through a reverb/space effect with compression.

Last edited:

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
Yes. Mood for a Day. Don’t compare my version. I used to be able to play it flawlessly. Not now