Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tapping leds into 12v radio(Amps)

A553

May 23, 2020
Okay, so to explain what I need help with I’m first going to explain what I plan on doing. I’m attempting to install led lights into my truck, the led light controller box is rated at 12v 1.5amp, I’m trying to tap into the head unit to pull 12v which is closest to where I want the controller box to be stationed. However if I’m correct the radio runs at about 5amps minimum, but if I tap into it would the leds only draw what amps is necessary? Or would the amperage be forced thru whenever say turning the radio up?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
However if I’m correct the radio runs at about 5amps minimum, but if I tap into it would the leds only draw what amps is necessary? Or would the amperage be forced thru whenever say turning the radio up?

hi there
welcome to EP :)

The radio and the LED's will only draw from the battery what they need

just clarify ... the LED was to come from inside the radio or from the power cable supplying the radio ??

From within the radio is probably not a good idea

A553

May 23, 2020
hi there
welcome to EP :)

The radio and the LED's will only draw from the battery what they need

just clarify ... the LED was to come from inside the radio or from the power cable supplying the radio ??

From within the radio is probably not a good idea
The leds would be tapping into the 12v wire supplying the radio. So with that said it is safe to hook them to that wire? Correct. Even if say i turn the volume up and it draws more amps to the head unit would that cause the leds to be supplied with more current? Thank you!

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
If you connect the LED controller box to the 12V feeding the radio then the LEDs will be turned on all the time when the radio is on or is off. Basically you are connecting the LED control box directly to the car battery.
Maybe you want the LEDs to light only when the radio is turned on then the LED control box must be connected to the radio's on-off switch.

A553

May 23, 2020
If you connect the LED controller box to the 12V feeding the radio then the LEDs will be turned on all the time when the radio is on or is off. Basically you are connecting the LED control box directly to the car battery.
Maybe you want the LEDs to light only when the radio is turned on then the LED control box must be connected to the radio's on-off switch.
I understand what you are saying, I’ve already tested the tap(I’m using a t tap connector) and the radio is a 12v accessory wire. My truck is also a 2004 so there’s no interface, just a plane harness. Not sure if that’s what you were thinking of. However thank you!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
As Audioguru says, even if you tap the accessory wire, only time the LED string or whatever will be off is when you remove the ignition key in the off position.

If you want the LEDs to operate only when the head unit is on, then you need to make internal connections to the same or use some type of sensor which operates on head unit current draw.

A553

May 23, 2020
As Audioguru says, even if you tap the accessory wire, only time the LED string or whatever will be off is when you remove the ignition key in the off position.

If you want the LEDs to operate only when the head unit is on, then you need to make internal connections to the same or use some type of sensor which operates on head unit current draw.
I’m fine with them being on whenever the ignition key is inserted, just need them to be off whenever I remove the key. Which is perfect, I already have all that sorted and have confirmed with a volt meter that it is how I want them to operate. The controller box is also able to be turned off via the app, so if needed they can still be turned off. I was just curious at to how exactly the amps situation would work. Thanks!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Unless you tap into the controller box switching the only way the LEDs will turn off is with your key removal position.

As for the current draw, Davenn explained that so no need to repeat.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Your truck is different to the cars I had. In my cars, the ignition switch turned the engine on and off. The radio could play even with the engine turned off because the radio had its own on and off switch.
You can connect the LED controller box to your ignition switch if you want.