Maker Pro

TCI Ignition ( by bux15)

IGBT OR MOSFET OR BJT AND Beakdown voltage of power switch?

• IGBT is best choice for Driving a Ignition Coil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MOSFET is best choice for Driving a Ignition Coil

• 600 VOLT IGBT OR MOSFET OR BJT is suitable for Driving Ignition Coil

• 1200 volt IGBT OR MOSFET OR BJT is suitable for Driving Ignition Coil

• Total voters

mostafa_gordy

Mar 11, 2012
hi everyone....
I sorry my english is poor ......
I plan to design a TCI circuit for old kettring ignition system(points breaker distributor) of my car .....
I want to drive a TCI coil (1 ohm Primary impedance) .

please see my schematic and :

1-this schematics is true or false?
2-if true, need whats change for optimized ?( only optimization of driver, not change power Transistor (BUX15) because I have not ANY other high voltage transistor !

Attachments

• tci simulation.PNG
    tci simulation.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 5,822

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
What is TCI?

There are many circuits for transistorised ignition triggered by the points.

To comment on your circuit.
1. The relay will give a time delay which could be unacceptable particularly at high revs.
2. The relay should not be necessary, the points originally took the full inductive coil current and wore out. Here there is no inductive high voltage and the current is much less. There may be a problem with the points becoming contaminated as there will be no high current to blast it away.
3. 12V and 1 ohm gives 12A, 144W. Things will get very hot very quickly. There should be some means of limiting the current or the time that it is on.
4. Have you considered a capacitor discharge circiut? This only outputs a pulse as needed so little power is used before the engine is started.

mostafa_gordy

Mar 11, 2012
oh no
I not use a relay substitute pointsin my car engine ... this relay substitute points in proteus simulation software ...
I plan for sloveing 'low impdance primary coil' use lower Dwell points time .....
circuit need any optimiztion .??

mostafa_gordy

Mar 11, 2012
STGW40NC60V IGBT 600V 260W 80A (TO-247) is suitable for driving 1 ohm ignition coil ?
what is suitable schmatics? please post schmatics

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The IGBT looks as if it will do what you want.
I do not have a schematic for this.
I made a capacitor discharge ignition 20 or 30 years ago and bought one by Sparkrite. These worked well.

As I said before, a 1 ohm coil will dissipate a lot of heat and could well burn out if the points are closed and the engine is not started immediately. You will need a circuit to reduce the current gradually if the engine is at rest for more than a second or two.

Why do you wish to use a coil with such a low primary resistance?

mostafa_gordy

Mar 11, 2012
The IGBT looks as if it will do what you want.
I do not have a schematic for this.
I made a capacitor discharge ignition 20 or 30 years ago and bought one by Sparkrite. These worked well.

As I said before, a 1 ohm coil will dissipate a lot of heat and could well burn out if the points are closed and the engine is not started immediately. You will need a circuit to reduce the current gradually if the engine is at rest for more than a second or two.

Why do you wish to use a coil with such a low primary resistance?

because my 1 ohm coil has low inductance and need lower time to full saturation in high RPM .
already i make a CDI CIRCUIT trigger by Points , but i make this circuit by IRON transformer .and not able to run in multispark mode (low frequency DC-CD CONVERTER) .............
what is inductance of 1ohm impadance primary coil ?(.003 Henry)
if is true whats back EMF generation by primary winding ( without 300vlot zener across collector base Q1 back EMF in Proteus =750volt !!

Attachments

• 750 VOLT back EMF !!!.PNG
    750 VOLT back EMF !!!.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 2,222

mostafa_gordy

Mar 11, 2012
what is Transistor ( Vce=? Ic=? ) for driving 3ohm impdance primary Ignition coil

mostafa_gordy

Mar 11, 2012
Hello Mostafa!
I just found your thread here.
Did you get your circuit working?
I just started a thread, where I have to repair / reconstruct a similar (breakerless) ignition controller.
It would just be interesting to hear how you solved your problem.
Here my thread: https://www.electronicspoint.com/magnetic-pickup-ignition-control-module-mercedes-t258762.html

HI....
YES.......working ......... my circuit is working by 3-2 ohm primary (impdance) Ignition coil .;)
(needless Ballast resistor) but on long time test.
you shoulde build a CDI Ignition circuit for youer old automobile ....
CDI is best result for Ignition in old car..