Maker Pro
Maker Pro

tds684a doesn't boot

MICKEYASLAM

Jun 24, 2012
Hi,
I have Tektronix TDS684A scope refusing to boot. When power button is pressed it tries to boot and shuts off right away and tries to boot again and shutoff again. It keeps rebooting in this manner. I suspect it is power supply but I don't have schematic. When powersupply is is removed from the scope and powered up only output voltage present is 5V.

Any help will be great.

thanks'

mickey

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi mickey
welcome to the forums :)

without the service manula you are probably going to have a hard job
many manuals are available online these days
do some googling
there are several sites that archive manuals for all sorts of gear

have a look in this thread for some site suggestions

Dave

MICKEYASLAM

Jun 24, 2012
Hi Dave,
Thanks' for the reply. Service manual is useless unless I get some sort of power and to make things worse service manual doesn't have schematic for power supply module. It is a very common failure type in this type of scope. Hopefully someone can point me toward right direction.

mickey

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Dave,
Thanks' for the reply. Service manual is useless unless I get some sort of power and to make things worse service manual doesn't have schematic for power supply module. It is a very common failure type in this type of scope. Hopefully someone can point me toward right direction.

mickey

a service manual will have full schematics and fault finding flow charts Tektronix are VERY good at that. sounds like you just got the user manual
GET the service manual :)

I dont know how old that specific unit is ?, you may have to go direct to Tektronix for the manual

once you have the correct service info then you will be able to work through the unit to discover any missing / incorrect voltages at various testpoints etc
all the voltages are usually labelled at the testpoints, well they have been in tektronix gear I have worked on :)
Have you done the obvious first thing and check all fuses on the board ?

Dave

Last edited: