Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Technics RS-TR515 - power issue? (Novice)

bluesky2006

Jun 21, 2022
New to all this so please bear with!

I had this cassette deck serviced a year or two ago and I think the chap who did it introduced a power issue that wasn't there before. Instead of just sending this off to someone else to fix at more expense, I wondered if anyone on here could suggest what to check to see where the fault may lie so that I might have a go myself?

Basically, after a period of play, the tape stops and if I look at the display, it flickers a bit before settling. I'm not sure if there is a specific period of time after which this happens.

New to electronics repair but looking to learn - where would be best to start looking inside for issues?

Thanks in advance!

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I presume the tape deck worked satisfactorily for the last year or two?.
So I doubt the tech introduced further issues.
I would start checking the power supply. As this unit is knocking on 30 years old, the electrolytic capacitors would be an obvious starting point.

Martin

bluesky2006

Jun 21, 2022
I presume the tape deck worked satisfactorily for the last year or two?.
So I doubt the tech introduced further issues.
I would start checking the power supply. As this unit is knocking on 30 years old, the electrolytic capacitors would be an obvious starting point.

Martin

No the issue has been there pretty much since I got it back I think - I've just not used it much a) cos I've moved house and b) cos I was aware of the issue! To clarify, I had the tech take a look at the deck just for a service to keep it in good condition, not because anything was wrong with the power or anything else.

Ok I shall take a look at the power supply capacitors next chance I get. Thanks

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Perhaps you should have taken it straight back to the tech.
Hindsight!. The first things to check then would be ALL connectors, ribbon cables and any wires that may not have been put back in place properly. Have a good eye ball everywhere inside. Especially connectors to the tape mechanism and display. obviously do this with the unit unplugged!.
Let us know of any findings, but check the power supply too.

Martin

bluesky2006

Jun 21, 2022
I moved house! Had everything serviced just prior to moving and he cut it very fine with finishing the work in time for me to move, so I didn't discover the issue until I was well out of his area.

Ok I shall do that also.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Basically, after a period of play, the tape stops and if I look at the display, it flickers a bit before settling
HOMEWORK . . . .
On that unit is the play button still pressed down or is this electronic instead of mechanical activation , and those actions are being solenoid activated .

The next time this happens . . . . confirm that reels are dead still . . . .as to be expected . . . and then hit stop and press play again to see if the tape starts playing. ? ? ?
If not then try tape FF and tape REV then stop and play again, to see if it now plays.
I think that flicker in the display aspect, is just being a coincident Red Herring .

bluesky2006

Jun 21, 2022
Ok I opened it up and took a look. Couldn't see anything glaringly obviously wrong. I tried fiddling with a few wires and making sure they were well connected. I'm waiting on some gear before I get too into the weeds with the power supply (do I need to discharge it/anything first??).

I did try playing a tape on it just now front to back and it didn't stop halfway through this time, so I'm hoping maybe moving the bits around has fixed it anyway...?

Benordst

Jun 24, 2022
New to all this so please bear with!

I'm new to this forum also;
always start with goggling the specic brand and model
number...it very hard not seeing or knowing no more
than it's a cassette player.
It appears from your description you may have a thermal issue; see if it operates well consistently;
when well ventilated.

I had this cassette deck serviced a year or two ago and I think the chap who did it introduced a power issue that wasn't there before. Instead of just sending this off to someone else to fix at more expense, I wondered if anyone on here could suggest what to check to see where the fault may lie so that I might have a go myself?

Basically, after a period of play, the tape stops and if I look at the display, it flickers a bit before settling. I'm not sure if there is a specific period of time after which this happens.

New to electronics repair but looking to learn - where would be best to start looking inside for issues?

Thanks in advance!
Ok I opened it up and took a look. Couldn't see anything glaringly obviously wrong. I tried fiddling with a few wires and making sure they were well connected. I'm waiting on some gear before I get too into the weeds with the power supply (do I need to discharge it/anything first??).

I did try playing a tape on it just now front to back and it didn't stop halfway through this time, so I'm hoping maybe moving the bits around has fixed it anyway...?

bluesky2006

Jun 21, 2022
His reply looks like part of the quotation - his is the second paragraph:

I'm new to this forum also;
always start with goggling the specic brand and model
number...it very hard not seeing or knowing no more
than it's a cassette player.
It appears from your description you may have a thermal issue; see if it operates well consistently;
when well ventilated

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Possibly, hopefully, it was just a random loose connection. For future adventures, always make sure the DUT (device under test) is unplugged and capacitors are discharged for your own safety.

Martin