Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Technics SA-CH550 panel very dim, is it fatal

diode84

May 19, 2018
Hello all
This is my first post on the forum so here goes.
I have an elderly Technics sa-ch550 mini system, its working ok except the front panel is very dim and difficult to read. Has anyone come across this and even better know of a solution.
Thanks
diode84

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Typical VFD (vacuum fluorescent display) degradation. Some people talk about over-driving the filament to burn off any contaminates and improve display performance but that's a pretty hit'n'miss solution with the chance of simply blowing the element completely.

Other than a display replacement your only option is to 'give it a go'. I suspect there are Youtube videos on the process.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah it's unfortunate when manufacturer use proprietary parts known to fail within the otherwise viable lifespan of a product. Stereos and microwave ovens annoy me in this regard, would rather the display showed less but used LEDs to do so.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir diode84 . . . . .

I initially need a couple of answers . . .since this is a system concerning separate multiple units . . .am I correct that the dim display syndrome is being concurrent between ALL of the units?

And if so, is there one unit in which this is being the MOST problematic and that is being the unit that any illumination enhancement would be the most helpful ?

AND . . . . . . I wonder if Delmer Dumbass Technics designer . . . . . NOW realizes the fallacy of fronting the unit with a smoked / tinted plexiglass sheet ?
SINCE the display had to initially produce such a high light output to bring the level up to a decent display threshold, what with supplemental room lighting, additionally having to be fought .

Example . . . . .

61f4bf99f34de6ce.jpg

73's de Edd

diode84

May 19, 2018
Typical VFD (vacuum fluorescent display) degradation. Some people talk about over-driving the filament to burn off any contaminates and improve display performance but that's a pretty hit'n'miss solution with the chance of simply blowing the element completely.

Other than a display replacement your only option is to 'give it a go'. I suspect there are Youtube videos on the process.
I hadn't realized it was a VFD, thought it was led but because of its age should have thought.
Its fatal then or use it as it is. Thanks.

diode84

May 19, 2018
Sir diode84 . . . . .

I initially need a couple of answers .

73's de Edd
I will have a look but think the others are much smaller.
Probably time to give that one up.
Thanks everyone for the fast replies.
Looks a great forum, I will be back.
All the best
diode84

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir diode84 . . . .

It said WHICH units display being is of the most importance to you ?

That's certainly being one lackadaisical attitude . . . without even knowing, that there are being two potential evaluative tests to see the degree of enhancement of brightness that are being left with the display unit.

73's de Edd

diode84

May 19, 2018
Sir diode84 . . . .

It said WHICH units display being is of the most importance to you ?

That's certainly being one lackadaisical attitude . . . without even knowing, that there are being two potential evaluative tests to see the degree of enhancement of brightness that are being left with the display unit.

73's de Edd
The main amp unit with the fm tuner is almost unreadable because its so dim. The other unit, the processor, has a nice bright display but totally different display unit for a graphic equalizer a total waste of time for me personally, a gimmick.
There are other reasons to consider giving up like: I can manage with it as it is and another the processor unit is very large and all to switch between cd, tape cassette, Dat and of course the graphic equalizer. I am going to use it as a fm tuner and discard the rest, except the processor as it doesnt work without it.
If you can come up with a way to increase brilliance I would be interested.

diode84

May 19, 2018
I have some thinnish perspex, I will try that when I have time. Maybe try nothing first.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
If there's nothing there, all the spiders will get in. :p