Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tektronix 2235 Oscilloscope Troubles

Danie

Oct 13, 2014
Hi all

I have a Tektronix 2235 Oscilloscope but there is no horizontal sweep, just a dot that I can move with the horizontal and vertical controls...

Any common faults or ides where to start looking ??

Thanks
Danie

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Is your beam finder engaged?
Are you familiar with this scope, or is this your first time working with it?

Danie

Oct 13, 2014
Yes the beam finder is working fine, the 2 dots is on the screen and the vertical amps is working but no horizontal deflection......

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I haven't been using my 2235 in years, since I got their new TDS3032B. (So I'm short on remembering which switches to flip fo quick checks).
Have you got an operator manual for it, or can you check on-line for it?
People here highly recommend websites with Tektronix forums for information that will probably be more explicit.
You may have a circuit problem, but I ALWAYS try the simple things first. A lot of times problems tend to be with switch configuration, and not actual circuit failures.
Before you tear into the scope looking for the trouble, I highly recommend playing with the controls to see if something simple is holding-off your sweep.
I realize you've already tried that, but I'd look over the operator manual just in case you've discounted a possible check that should be done. I can't count how many
times I've made simple mistakes when troubleshooting instruments, only to find out I had the control panel incorrectly configured.
If you don't get a reply here that can give you specific ideas, I'd Google the Tektronix discussion forums and ask the guys who work with Tek scopes on a daily basis.
Good luck, and I hope it's a simple fix, and not an expensive repair.

Danie

Oct 13, 2014
I think this is a circuit fault, I bought this scope with a few other that come from a electronics company as faulty, I have a service manual but try a shortcut, maybe someone had the same fault. Thanks very much for answering me. Just don't having the time to dig into the circuit now, some other day......Thanks again !!