Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Telefunken p18 function slide switch

Jeloni

Oct 4, 2015
Hello,
We have a Telefunken CD MP3/radio/usb/cassette player. The function slide switch is faulty when we move it to the radio position - the radio sometimes works, sometimes not. My question is. The device has a sliding switch which can engage in three positions. 1.Radio
2. Tape/off
3. CD/MP3/USB.
If I want to replace the mini sliding switch, do I need an on/on/on three-position switch with 6 pins?

Thanks

J

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
We can't tell you. You're probably guessing right, but it depends on the construction of the player. I suggest you open the player and inspect the switch to find a suitable replacement.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir jeloni . . . . .

s0vCyDd.png

BEFORE you even think about replacing that special switch . . .try this first . . . .

I am expecting that to be multi contact 3 position switch and you can get access from the side where you will
find two small metric screws that are mounting it in place to the side panel.(After you pull the back panel.)
Repair would be most thorough if the switch is loosened so that you can hold it in one hands fingers while
the other hand uses a spray CONTACT CLEANER and its small spray tube extension that is
positioned such that the cleaner stream is being directed deep into the switches internals.

Put in an initial blast of cleaner inside and slide the switch lever from its extreme positions about 10 times and
then hit it again with cleaner and do the the 10 slides again and then, a final blast and 10 slides.
By that time the old lube gunk should have been driven out and the repetitive slide action would have cleaned
any oxidation from the switch contacts and they will have cleaned themselves..

Its easy to find CONTACT CLEANERS, but what you optimally would want in this situation is what in olden tymes
was known as Tuner cleaner when they had used those mechanical clunking behemoths . . . .with that mix also
having a slight amount of lube included .

That way, after all of the CLEANING, there was not a dry grinding action between the DRY contacts as moved.

Read labels and if it says leaves no residue, that is being a a pure solvent . . .or use the sample on a white paper towel
test to dry, that will confirm discoloration by a lube , if you are having a product ALREADY on hand..

Radio Shack in the USA readily carried that type of product, until their ALMOST total closure of their stores.
(I have only two store choices within a 1.2 million population metroplex area.)

There . . . IS . . . a Caig made product which fills the needs BUT it is HIGHLY overpriced, like liquid gold . . .or platinum.

My procedure is to use the solvent type of spray cleaner and when ready for the lube stage I place a pea sized
dollop of some Dow Corning Z5 *** silicone grease in the plastic cover cap of the solvent can and spray in enough
solvent to mix with the (clear)toothpaste viscosity that the Z5 exhibits.
Mix in enough solvent until you have an almost watery dilution. THEN you can drip that solution into the switch
mechanism and use a very short blast of solvent to drive it in further and mix around.
You now have a fine antioxidant coating on your contacts as well as sliding contact friction reduction.

**** You say . . .? Dow Corning Z5 ? ? ? . whaaaazzzzzaaatttt ?. .then you are not being of the Scientific/Military/
Industrial/Chemical / NASA society.

However, 'ole Joe Blow readily gets HIS like product variant under the guise of . . . . .

3489801877_e34698e071_m.jpg

. . . . . its available from hardware stores in the plumbing section (The left packaging is the one most commonly found.)

Sooo . . . . .what I have done is made my own mystical magical formulation for that final lube .

It leaves one fine oxide protective film on the, then freshly cleaned and shiny contacts.

See if that procedure doesn't have that slide switch working like new again.

( If anyone wants to know the "Rest of the story" on Z5 silicone . . .just query.)

73's de Edd

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Try to get hold of a can of "Kontakt 60" spray. It's like the "tuner cleaner" Edd refers to. It's a German made product, but I heard it's available elsewhere, too.