Maker Pro
Maker Pro

The Coffee Sip Tip

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
So, many of you will know that I am a novice who is like a 2 year old with questions, when it comes to electronics ;-)

I thought I'd share a tip; for novices.

Building a circuit is exciting. If you're like me, you can't wait to make your next solder connection so you can see the magic unfold.

But, having been in that situation, I began noticing that some of my solder joints were breaking; especially when I was forced to cram them.

So, now, here is what I do.

I have a coffee with me. I am also wearing a Covid mask while soldering- I figure, I have now gotten used to wearing a mask everywhere, so why not use it as an extra layer of protection for not breathing in fumes.

Anyway, my new method is: I make the solder connection. I remove my mask. I take a sip of coffee. Then I make the next connection. This forces me to allow enough time for the solder joint to completely dry and form a better bond. It's made a difference, believe it to not.

I suspect it will work with tea, But I'm not sure if it would be a good idea with Jack Daniels, bourbon or beer. ;-)

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
I've always dug in and ran a marathon solder session. It keeps my head directly in the game.
It's when I break the groove that I run into errors due to the thought process becoming less than fresh and vivid.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Old fashioned 60/40 tin/lead solder takes time to harden. Newer 63/37 tin/lead solder hardens immediately then motion does not affect the solder joint.
Usually rosin-core solder is used. Lead-free solder is completely different so I have never used it since I do not eat tin/lead solder.