Maker Pro
Maker Pro

The low quality busted headset sounds underwater effect

meemoeuk

Feb 26, 2018
so i buy low quality PC headsets that are designed break after about 12 months. While I'm waiting for next headset to arrive, I rip open the busted one to see whats inside. The wiring is tiny loose and fragile, sometimes held together by celotape! I try to reconnect the wiring. Sometimes this fixes it, often not. But i often encounter something that i don't understand. Sometimes the sound comes back on, but its about half volume, with the sound like its underwater, with extra reverb and echo, with some of the audio channels missing.
I wonder what causes it. Anyone know?

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Bad solder joints are probably causing it. Why dont you just replace the cable with one of better quality and save the headset ?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Most likely you have distorted the speaker body and allowed the moving cone (often made of plastic) to touch the frame.

These items, although cheaply made, are made to exacting clearances that don't tolerate manhandling.

meemoeuk

Feb 26, 2018
@HellasTechn cos i don't have tools or materials
@kellys_eye nah its not that. its a bad connection effect, its possible to get the same effect if the 2.5mm jack is not pluged in correctly. Its an effect I've heard many times over the years, often wondered its exact cause. The echo reverb makes me wonder if there's a short circuit somewhere.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
@HellasTechn cos i don't have tools or materials
@kellys_eye nah its not that. its a bad connection effect, its possible to get the same effect if the 2.5mm jack is not pluged in correctly. Its an effect I've heard many times over the years, often wondered its exact cause. The echo reverb makes me wonder if there's a short circuit somewhere.

Just wondering why you need to ask if you think you already know the answer.

meemoeuk

Feb 26, 2018
becos i'm a circuit noob. ulot should be able to expand my wisdom. but looks like the only way i'll find out exactly what causes it is by my own experiments.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
That is true since we can only offer assistance via the internet and not in person.