Maker Pro
Maker Pro

The Newb has a question...

ponyrehab

Oct 13, 2012
hi guys, I have to customize a weird huge My Little Pony talking toy for a client, the phrases it uses randomize, I think 5 in total.

I know for specifics you experts will need detail, but for a general query, how are these sound files stored and can they be changed or replaced?

Many thanks and pardon if that seemed like a dumb question!

ponyrehab

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Ooo I love My Little Pony (and I'm not afraid to admit it even if I'm a 33 year old guy :cool: )

There is really no way of knowing how the data is stored but historically these things have usually been in the form of a COB (chip built directly on the board with a big blob of resin over it).

I'd say the easiest way to customise it is to rip out all the insides and replace with a general purpose sound module that you can store your own files in. Try sparkfun - they always have small modules like that.

ponyrehab

Oct 13, 2012
Thank you sooo much! You were right, gloop covered gubbins! I grabbed a record-your-own type gizmo from ebay and I'll remove the old one and rig it to the same button on the toy.

You know I couldn't get any help from anyone, suppliers, factories, shops. And here for two seconds and I get it solved, I didn't even know you could buy these things. (why would I?)

Thanks again.

PR

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I'd love to know what the "customized" My Little Pony will be saying...

Bob