Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Thermistor/sensor question/advice please?

OlDrunk

Feb 15, 2014
Hello,
To keep things short and to the point I have installed in my condo an Honeywell digital thermostat that can use remote temperature sensors(which I absolutely need in my case) an it calls for any "20k Ohm curve NTC sensor", the schematic in the manual shows a thermistor with a bridged resistor(unkown value) across the leads. I'm on a very,very small budget and would like get things running with common/available parts, 20k ohm thermistors is not common stock item any where local and ordering online not possible due to shipping costs being way more then parts, I can get 10k Ohm NTC thermistors but unsure if two 10k thermistors in series would produce what I need and unsure what the purpose of the bridged resistor is or how figure out what it's value would be. Basicly I'm asking is it possible to build a 20k Ohm curve NTC temprature sensor from a mix of more common parts?:confused:

In advance Thank you to any one who replys with any information

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You can probably place two 10k thermistors in series.

The results won't be very accurate in any case because the controller doesn't know the temperature vs resistance characteristics. adding series and parallel resistors can modify things a little, but you're still at the mercy of the device's non-linearities.

Try it, and compare the temperature with an independent thermometer to see if the differences are acceptable.