Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Thermoelectric Roof Generator: Need some help with my project.

Ivan Fiedalan

Sep 2, 2017
Hi. Im from the Philippines a grade 10 student. Im developing a science investigatory project called thermoelectric roof generator, it uses thermoelectric modules. Here in the Philippines the availability of information, materials, and professionals that I can ask questions with is one of my biggest problem conducting my research. Where could I find a thermoelectric module that can generate electricity with about 30°c heat source? Also my budget on this project is limited anf Im finding a partner willing to help me develop this project. Thankyou

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Sounds like you're looking for a peltier device.

The following link shows datasheet results for a good number of devices. You might want to chose one (at random) to see the kinds of parameters they have and try to identify those specifications that meet with your criteria. Thereafter you can search for specific device that make best use of the spec's you set.

http://category.alldatasheet.com/index.jsp?sSearchword=PELTIER

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I imagine that in the Phillipines getting a surface hot (30°C) is no problem, but cooling an adjacent surface down might be. Presumably you're intending to use a Peltier device for this project?

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
It's the difference in temps on the two sides of the Peltier that is important. Can you arrange to cool the shaded side with running water? That would help a lot. Otherwise, a good heavy heat sink and fan would be next best choice.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Can I use any kind of thermoelectric module in this project?
Yes, but they have different specifications regarding efficiency and voltage output/temperature profiles etc. If you want to just prove the principle then 'any' will do but be aware that these devices aren't exactly cheap so the power generating capabilities, in terms of cost-efficiency, will be minimal.