Maker Pro
Maker Pro

this is not a chat site...

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
I guess I got used to the IRC rooms where everyone talks about nothing at the same time.
anyway...
I have another one of my vague questions...
How smart (how much electronics would someone need to know) to create a custom ECM for a motorcycle that was not designed for one, with OBD interface that is so I can read all the engine operations with my OBDII interface that has proven to be more of a problem than it is worth...but this old first generation 1983 Venture Royale needs one, because it was like the prototype touring machine, and it is all speciallized and its just not complete without it.
this vagueness includes things like--->
whats an ECM made of?
how does a PC read the OBDII data?
and
What makes an electronic signal carry information/data?
or
Who let this guy in here?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
DIY ECM's exist for cars - not sure if they do them for bikes but there would be a strong suggestion that this is the case.

An ECM is a small computer with various input and output circuits to interface with the various sensors and send voltage/current to controllers (fuel injectors etc). There's nothing 'special' about them as far as computers are concerned and anyone familiar with microprocessors or micro controllers would feel at home investigating the insides of one.

A PC reads ODBII data via a communications protocol - it's serial data but with it's own 'peculiarities' that require an interface for a PC to read it directly.

By using different voltages to represent '1' and '0' you can convey information - the number of 1's and 0's in any data stream will depend on the complexity of the information you want to communicate.

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
Holy smokes! Is "Kelly's Eye" shorthand for "Kelly is an encyclopedia"? You know everything!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Holy smokes! Is "Kelly's Eye" shorthand for "Kelly is an encyclopedia"? You know everything!
Far from it.

I know my limitations (higher theory - only because I can't be @rsed....) but have, literally, decades of practical experience.

The real answer is that I'm an old f@rt.... been around the block a few times, so to speak. Been there, seen that. I used to teach it to higher education levels (HND), was a globe-travelling Mr Fixit in the marine electronics industry for 20 years and been self employed for the last 20 years. In total I've been 'into' electronics for almost 50 years now.

And I read - A LOT!