Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Thoughts on Engineer PA-09 Crimp Tool?

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
I've got a few Molex SL series connectors to crimp in the coming month, which has prompted me to upgrade my terrible SN-28B crimp tool (the cheap generic Chinese one all over eBay and Amazon).

It looks like the Engineer PA-09 crimp tool rates very well and I've anecdotally heard good things about it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Micro-Crimping-Small-Engineer/dp/B002AVVO7K/

Has anyone use this before, or have any other similarly priced recommendations?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Whenever possible I have tended to buy Weidmuller hand tools/crimpers they are $$ but are worth it if you intend using it extensively or over a life time, I use them in my job so it pays to get the best.
M.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
It looks like the Engineer PA-09 crimp tool rates very well
But it looks cheap.
Have a look at the jaws of this Weidmüller tool. Really expensive but I think you'll be able to find an intemediately prices tool.
I recently upgraded my cheap press for cable end sleeves (with small jaws like the one you linked) to a Presch tool with wide jaws and a solif mechanic. I'm so much more happy with this. Unfortunately they do have only insets for cable end sleeves, not for connectors (the insets are removable, but no other insets are being offered at the time being).

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I'd go ahead and get that considering the price difference, then return it if it doesn't work well.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks for the advice everyone :). I do like the Weidmüller tools, but that's way out of my price range unfortunately. The crimp tool I've got the at the moment has a nice ratchet mechanism, but the crimp die crushes connector tabs, rather than folding and crimping.

Since I posted this thread, I've spotted a used PA-09 for sale cheaply, so I may get it and see how it compares. I'll add more info to this thread once I've tested it out :).