Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Thread suggestion - 'frankenstein' thread

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Greetings,

Just some thoughts following what Steve said regarding optical mouse sensors. It got me thinking - a low resolution camera even if useless for pictures has its uses in things like tracking light position etc (which is how wii remotes and similar devices work), but if you wanted to buy a simple camera module for your ardunio lets say, that would be a great deal more expensive.

Anyway - the point is, there are alot of very cheap mass produced devices out there from which components could be harvested that would cost more on their on than the device itself. I think it would be useful to have a sticky thread where they could all be listed.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
While this is a good idea I think there are just too many different things that have been made through this method. I love tearing things apart and using some of their pieces for something else.

I agree that a sticky should be made where people can post ideas about frankenstein machines and maybe provide links to something like instructables pages that use the frankenstein method to make something new, but that thread is going to get insanely long.

I would propose a subsection of the Electronics Projects section that organizes these into one area, or a whole section on its own

Good idea Raven

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Thanks for the new sticky steve!

I will definitely contribute to it, and I will definitely follow this thread, I'm always looking for inspiration through tearing down old electronics.