Maker Pro
Maker Pro

TI PCM3070 microprocessor beginner problem

onuryildiz

Feb 3, 2015
I want to design a audio codec by using Texas Instruments PCM3070 microprocessor. First of all, lets assume I designed the circuit but I do not know what device or kit I need in order to transfer my code from computer to this processor. There are some devices called Evaluation Module or Launch Pad, are these what I need? What are differences between these devices, and which is the device I need (Evaluation Module, Launch Pad, or something else)? Best Regards

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I would highly recommend that you purchase the PCM3070EVM-K Evaluation Module, about US$200 directly from Texas Instruments. This will provide you with a USB programming interface to a PC and software to get you started. Visit www.ti.com for complete information on what is available.

To properly use this IC requires advanced knowledge of DSP algorithms and circuit board layout. For example, the packaged chip has a heat-spreader that must be re-flow soldered to the circuit board and there are specific requirements for external bypass and filtering capacitors. For program development it is almost mandatory to have a properly designed and operating PCM3070 circuit board already up and working. There are also specific power-up and power-down protocols that must be followed.

Also, please do not cross-post to different forums with the same question. That is considered rude here at Electronics Point.