Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Timer circuit

HomerDodd

Sep 6, 2017
I made a solar pool heater, but want to regulate the outlet flow. If it just flows unregulated, the water does not get warm enough.It needs more time in the sun before going into the pool. I want to install a sprinkler valve controlled by a timer circuit that will open at 3, 4 or 5 minute intervals and remaining open for approx 1 minute on time before shutting off. This will allow the water to absorb sunlight and heat up before discharging into the pool, essentially cycling on and off throughout the day. Hope this makes sense ! Can you give me some schematics for such a device. I can make it fixed time amount or adjustable. Much appreciated !! Thanks

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Easiest way for the non-electronics-inclined is to purchase a timer relay that has all the functionality you require and only needs you to connect the output contacts to the solenoid used to control the flow.

Companies such as RS Components (there are others) offer many such devices and you can chose the type you need from a 'list' by making various option selections (operating volatge, timer function, number of contatcs etc) - have look here:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/relays-signal-conditioning/relays/timer-relays/

By far the simplest version would be to slow the flow of water through the heater though..... turn the tap down.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
My own favorite typo :)
I can't remember how often I corrected this in my own writing - even less how many times I didn't recognize my fault. Glad others have this problem, too.

bidrohini

Feb 1, 2023
The easiest solution that is comming to my mind is,

Power supply-》 Arduino...》Relay...》Sprinkler

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I don't see how using a timer will help.
If you slow down the average flow rate by a factor of 3, 4, or 5 as per post#1 then the pool will, of course, take proportionally longer to heat up to the required temperature. The total heat energy added to the pool over that longer period will be the same, with or without the timer.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Why not base the timer on Temperature ? And sunlight level and or time of day ?

Regards, Dana.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Can you give me some schematics for such a device
Asking for schematic is someone who's inclined. Because of your previous posts I have to ask this question... Did you put a pool in one of your Cadillac's?

HomerDodd

Sep 6, 2017
Asking for schematic is someone who's inclined. Because of your previous posts I have to ask this question... Did you put a pool in one of your Cadillac's?
If you can't answer my requests, please just don't respond. Your question if childish and stupid. BTW, I fixed the Cadillac in question as I needed and sold it.

HomerDodd

Sep 6, 2017
Why not base the timer on Temperature ? And sunlight level and or time of day ?

Regards, Dana.
That would work too. Once e temperature is reached the valve opens, allowing the hot water into the pool. THanks! How do I build it?

HomerDodd

Sep 6, 2017
I don't see how using a timer will help.
If you slow down the average flow rate by a factor of 3, 4, or 5 as per post#1 then the pool will, of course, take proportionally longer to heat up to the required temperature. The total heat energy added to the pool over that longer period will be the same, with or without the timer.
Wrong. The longer the water stays in the heater grid hoses the hotter it becomes. I've measured it at several intervals, it gets over 115 degrees on a hot day after not flowing for about 8-10 minutes, it will scald my hand after sitting in those black, coiled and hot grids. Now once again, can you give me a timer or temperature circuit to control the opening and closing of the valve? it is a simple yes or no question, thanks

HomerDodd

Sep 6, 2017
Easiest way for the non-electronics-inclined is to purchase a timer relay that has all the functionality you require and only needs you to connect the output contacts to the solenoid used to control the flow.

Companies such as RS Components (there are others) offer many such devices and you can chose the type you need from a 'list' by making various option selections (operating volatge, timer function, number of contatcs etc) - have look here:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/relays-signal-conditioning/relays/timer-relays/

By far the simplest version would be to slow the flow of water through the heater though..... turn the tap down.
I have slowed it with a valve, but then the volume is too low to make a difference. I need to regulate output, that is the goal here.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I have slowed it with a valve, but then the volume is too low to make a difference. I need to regulate output, that is the goal here.
What has the volume got to do with it? The way you describe the situation you'd need to regulate the Sun....

You can't adjust the volume without adjusting the outlet temperature - slower=hotter, faster=cooler. 'Holding' water in the system until it reaches the desired temperature just results in a stop-go solution and adds complication.

The total heat/volume content ends up the same (mixed). Obviously you don't want to scald anyone so slowing the flow to a level that gives the desired temperature but keeps a constant flow should be the aim and a simple tap regulating the flow will do that. OK, it's not accurate to 'decimal point' values but does that matter?

@Delta Prime shows two complex systems that will work but the KISS principle applies and the complexity - as shown - will show zero different results from a part-open tap.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
1684965629415.png

This timer has 4 tabs per hour covering 24 hours in a day. That means that the timer turns something on and off in increments of 15 minutes. You could conceivably turn something on and off 48 times a day .Here's schematic with idiot lights on it. :cool:

1684965876099.png

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Cheap and cheerful - use a thermostatically controlled bath tap and feed cold water and the solar to it and set it to whatever temperature you want.

It's a circulatory system isn't it? Doesn't matter of the water going in is too cold as it will warm up when the sun shines!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
hehehe....yup, my first thought also.
Although, there is most likely a good reason why it is designed to operate the way it is.